"Compression" Bra Versus "Sports" Bra

What is the difference between a compression bra & a sports bra? Although my surgeon provides a compression bra after surgery, I will need some other type of supportive bra while the compression garment is being washed. Compression bras are expensive & if a sports bra (w/ a front zipper so I don't have to raise my arms)will do the same thing, then I'd rather not spend the $50+ to buy a special garment.

What bra to wear after breast augmentation.

+3

Essentially, the goal of the bra is to support the newly placed implant while the capsule forms and the breast heals. The term "compression" bra is confusing. A supportive cup bra (with or without an underwire) will support the implant. A sports bra will tend to put uniform pressure across the breast, causing it to flatten. Give your plastic surgeon a call and find out what he or she recommends. If you only need a bra for the time while the other is being washed, a $50 specialty bra sounds like a waste of money.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

The best bra after breast augmentation

+2

Surgeons will have personal preferences concerning bras right after breast augmentation, and some do not use any at all. The key is support and comfort and we use a soft cup bra without an under-wire, snug on the chest to help set the implant in the pocket, with a band wrap over the breast to keep the area still and reduce swelling and soreness. Patients can be out of the bra long enough to wash them so a second should not be needed.

peterejohnsonmd

Bras after surgery

+2

Some surgeons do not use any bra.  I use a soft bra just to keep the dressing inside the bra cup. It is not used for compression or support of the breasts.

Sports Bra vs Compression Bra

+1
Please follow your surgeon's instructions on this. It would probably be okay to wear a sports bra, as long as it provides good support and is soft without underwire, however ask your surgeon.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Compression bra after breast augmentation

+1
You should follow the advice of your plastic surgeon. All plastic surgeons will have a different routine for post operative care. Your plastic surgeon understands your surgery and your anatomy and is in the best position for making this decision. Some plastic surgeons like underwire bras others want you to avoid their use.

Does the postoperative bra really matter

+1

Hi there-

As my colleagues have mentioned, there is going to be a great deal of variability on this among surgeons...

Here's the bottom line, though...

You chose your surgeon (HOPEFULLY) because he/she is well trained, experienced, easy to get along with, and has a great reputation. You've seen photos of his work and believe he can achieve your goals for you safely.

So that being the case, why would you compromise your surgeon's chances of making you happy by second guessing their protocol- or worse, having your deviation from their postoperative regimen validated by surgeons on this site??

If you chose your surgeon for the right reasons, and your goal is to be safe and happy- you owe it to your surgeon and yourself to follow their instructions to the letter- and even if they are different than what other surgeons might do. 

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Bra After Surgery

+1

Here, again, different experts will have different preferences.

Your best advice is to do what the surgeon of your choosing recommends.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

What type of bra to wear after implant surgery?

+1

There is a wide range of opinions on this subject, but my preference is for a bra that provides support more than compression. We don't really want to compress the breast into a flatter shape after augmentation. It is important to have the implants securely held in position though. Your surgeon should be able to give you specific advice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Compression vs. sports bra

+1

This is a question for your surgeon. There are specific reasons to use or not use bras post-op. I often want my patients to go without a bra after surgery to allow the implants to hang more naturally. But each situation and patient may be different.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast augmentation compression garments

+1

Depending on the amount of time after surgery, the need for a compression bra may not be as important. Your surgeon would be the best person to provide you with this advice. The need for compression may vary from one person to another depending on the surgery being performed.