Compression Bra over Long Terms Okay?

Hi , we all know that it can be somehow beneficial to wear a compression bra after BA, but would it be ok to wear it for longer periods of time (months) , or might it even be somehow "dangerous"? I somehow find them to be the most comfortable ones and do experience pain after a few hours in a "normal" bra. Thanks, C

Bra after Breast Augmentation

+2

I suggest that patients wear a bra that is comfortable to them after the 1st month of wearing the surgical bra.  I suggest that you don't use a bra that is pushing your implants one way or another unnaturally.

Maybe it's best to show your surgeon the bra you are wanting to wear to get his/her Ok to do so.

Compression bra after breast augmentation longterm effects

+2

To answer your question, so long as your bra is not compressing or rubbing against any incisions, or is not pushing your breasts unnaturally, I don't think you are hurting anything.

Having said that, I don't require patients to use compression bras in general after breast augmentation.  I don't think it is necessary if the procedure is done correctly.  I think that avoiding an underwire bra in a patient with inframammary incisions is important to optimize the incision.  I tell them to avoid them for 3 months post-op.  After this period, I don't restrict them.

Shankar Lakshman, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Bra after surgery

+2

A comfortable bra is most important.  I do not think that a specific bra long term makes a big difference.