Composite Bonding Restoration, How Long Until It Starts Feeling Normal?

I recently broke two front teeth (about 1/2 of a central incisor and lateral incisor). My dentist performed an amazing composite bonding restoration and they look good as new. However, they still feel somewhat unnatural and I would like to know how long this feeling will last? It has been two weeks since the incident and the restoration. Thank you in advance!

Trauma and Bonding

+1

I am glad to hear you had such a great result with the bonding. Normally it is hard to get a goot match.  Bonding doesnt last as long as porcelain veneers.  It has a tendancy to chip or break or discolor because it is relatively weak and porous.  If you have medical insurance you should consider getting the veneers done now.  Most good medical insurance plans will pay for them if the damage is a result of an accident.  It you fell down or got hit by a baseball accidentally then that would be considered an acident.  You can get the treament covered by your insurance company.  In fact, dental insurance doesn't cover treatment that is the result of anaccident and therefore you must defer to your medical plan.  COntact your carrier.  Many dentists don't know how to deal with medical Insurance.  You may have to find one that can.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Dental bonding

+1

Dental bonding is a great form of treatment for fractured teeth, but the size of the fracture will make a difference in the prognosis of the restoration. For large-sized fractures, such as yours, it would be better to place veneers rather than dental bonding.  Veneers are stronger than composite bonding and last longer. 

If your bondings don't feel normal, it may be because they are close to your nerve.  You should follow up with your dentist.  Also, be careful not to bite into hard foods with your front teeth.  All the best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Corona Cosmetic Dentist

Natural feeling bonding is a challenge

+1

It is possible that you will simply need to adapt.  If the bonding feels bulky, then it will always feel bulky.  If they don't feel smooth like enamel, they may never get smoother.  This feeling is one of the reasons bonding is considered inferior to porcelain veneers.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Composite Restorations

+1

Typically it would be safe to expect your new composite restorations to feel normal within a week or two.  If it has been longer than that, it may be a good idea to re-visit your Dentist and have them polished or adjusted.

Daniel Beninato, DDS
Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding feels unnatural

+1

I am sorry about the broken front teeth but I am glad you decided on bonding since it preserves the natural structure of the tooth and there is very little reduction. Also I am glad that they look so natural and you are happy .  If they FEEL unnatural and it has been two weeks since the procedure, I would call your dentist and set up an appointment to find out what is wrong. Sometimes when teeth are bonded  they feel as little rough here and there and maybe the roughness can be smoothed out or your bite could be a little off .  You did not mention that you were in any pain so I will not address nerve trauma from what ever caused your teeth to break.  My suggestion is go back to your dentist and sort this out with him...I am assured he can make this work for you!

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Will my composite feel natural?

+1

This is an excellent choice for replacing missing tooth structure. The dental bonding procedure helps maintain the existing tooth structure in its natural state with minimal reduction. Sometimes after the restoration is placed the composite material may feel somewhat different. Sometimes simple polishing can correct this problem. If the tooth feels unnatural do to the trauma then that should be evaluated and treated by the dentist.  Sometimes the nerve and surrounding periodontal tissues are damage in trauma and the tooth feel differently for an unknown period of time.  I would recommend a 3, 6, 12 month followup.

Dr. C

Roderick Cooper, DDS
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding for Broken Teeth

+1

The real question that needs to be answered is if the bonding feels unnatural or if it is the tooth that feels funny.

If the tooth feels tender or tingly it might be a nerve issue requiring a root canal.  If the bonding feels different, perhaps it is not smooth enough or too thick or a different shape then your natural tooth was.  These are variables that can easily be corrected.  

The fact that you mentioned they look great is a testament to the esthetic skills of your dentists.  I suggest to talk to your dentist about this situation.

Ronald W. Konig DDS,FAGD,LVIF

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth Bonding Feels Unnatural

+1

First of all, congratulations on chosing an excellent procedure, bonding, to improve your smile.  For most patients, I would say that 2 weeks is  a reasonable time for your lips, tongue and bite to adjust to a new bonding.  If it still feels unnatural, it could be something as simple as needing a slight adjustment to the bite or length of the bonding.  The best advice is to ask the dentist if you could have a follow-up appointment to check if any slight adjustments are needed.  I'm happy that you like the appearance and don't worry it sounds like it is a minor fix if needed.

Toni Margio, DMD
Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding Not feeling Normal

+1

If something does not feel normal after a dental restoration for more then a couple days, a call should always be made to your dentist as he knows the conditions of your tooth and can reassure you or request you come in to check it out.  As mentioned, it can be any thing from a high bite, to a failing nerve or just a rough filling.  Bottom line a tooth should always return to a normal feeling within a few days after care.  Good luck!

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Do bonded teeth feel and look natural

+1

Sounds like your dentist did a  great job on the aesthetics aspect. So , he / she probably made the bonding very smooth, and and took care of the texture .

If you feel unnatural, my guess would be that it is not the bonded fillings that feel natural ,but the fact that you traumatized your teeth when you broke them. Obviously teeth do not braken unless they received a "hit "  somehow.  You need to call your dentist and tell him exactly how they feel.

If they feel sore, temperature sensitive, bite sensitive, pressure sensitive, a dull ache , or that you are simply aware of them all the time, it is the nerve inside that needs exploring. The nerves in the teeth do not always react immediately after the trauma.

If you feel any uneven edge,  you hit them sooner than other teeth , then you'll need a simple adjustment.

Good luck.

so now teeth can be either hitting too hard

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist