How to Fix Complications from Silicone Injections?

This is the first time I am reaching out. I have yet to see a doctor because I don’t know where to go or who to turn to because this was all done on the black market. I live in NY.

I had silicone injected into my hips and rear about 2 yrs ago. I had a series of injections done at someone’s home who was not a medical professional.

I was stupid and now I am paying the price with all kinds of issues. I have swelling the comes and goes.

What should I do? Please help me.

Surgery to remove silicone

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Treatment of silicone injections to the lips and face

+1

Silicone on the lips can be safely removed in many cases. I have had success in the longterm management of this problem. Treatment options may vary from one individual to another. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Silicone injections

+1

Silicone injections are very difficult to deal with. These are microparticles that can cause later complications like infections and granulomas. The difficulty is the almost impossible task or removing it completely without cutting the involved tissue out. This is because it can get into all levels of tissues.

Silicone injections: Difficult problem to treat

+1

This is an extremely difficult problem to treat.

Your best bet is to call around for individuals willing to treat you but my guess is that very few individuals will want to take this problem on. It is time intensive and there is no definitive cure. The silicone pockets will need to be drained individually and it is highly unlikely that you will ever completely remove all of the silicone.