Complications Two Years After Silicone Breast Implant Rupture?

Two years ago, I had a ruptured silicone implant removed. The Dr. said that silicone had leaked up to my clavicle and down to by obliques. He couldn't possibly get it all.

Now, I am having the same symptoms I had when I first experienced the rupture, a burning sensation in my chest and shoulder, some chest tightness to the right of my breast bone and the feeling like there is a "lump" in my throat.

Could these symptoms be resurfacing because there is still silicone left behind that has pooled together and how can I find out?

I doubt your theory, but here are some thoughts

+1

The silicone that is left behind usually is on the microscopic level, and even if it could all pool in one place, it would be much less than a teaspoon. Further, I can't think of a way that it would affect your throat muscles.

One thing that might be helpful would be an MRI which will show exactly how much and where any silicone is. It could also be good for a look at your throat. I would recommend that if symptoms continue, you seek a gastrenterologist, or ENT consultation. Sometimes, a neurological disorder can cause swallowing problems. I hope not however.

sek

Obtain an MRI scan

+1

Your best bet at this point is to get an MRI scan of the chest. This will give you some ida of how much silicone gel is present and where it is. After that you should be evaluated by a plastic surgeon. It may be related to your implants of something altogether different.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Pain 2 years after breast implant removal unlikely from Silicone

+1

There have been several studies whichy have found no correlation between silicone breast implants and systemic autoimmune disease. Based on these studies it is unlikely that any generalized systemic symptoms that you have, such as a lump in your throat, are caused by silicone left in your tissues.

When silicone breast implant rupture resulting in silicone gel spreading into the tissues does occur, often there is no noticible effect. If signs and symptoms do occur, most commonly the symptoms are localized to the area where the silicone is, and are caused by the formation of a silicone granuloma.

The slicone granuloma is usually a firm, noticeable hard lump of scar tissue that forms around the silicone. If you feel hard lumps on your chest beneath the skin that are tender, then you may have a granuloma.

However, if your skin and breast is smooth, soft and normal, then a granuloma is unlikely.

I suggest that you visit your surgeon for an exam and request a consult with a Rheumatologist.

From your description of your symptoms I doubt that silicone is causing your problem. Scar tissue form your surgery could be causing your discomfort

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS