What Happens when You Have Complications in Rhinoplasty?

If complications occur from post rhinoplasty what happens next,if extrusion or infection occurs can I end up with a normal looking nose?I hear alot on the internet about high chances of infection or extrusion from artificial implants, so if a problem occurs can I fix it or will I be stuck with problems for the rest of my life? I don't understand how ps continue to use artifial implants if the risk is so high for problems. I have a medpor implant at the tip of my nose.Dr reports good success.

Complications after Artificial Implants

+1

The severity of complications after well-done artificial nasal implants is directly related to how they are treated and how soon after symptoms are observed. Any symptoms such as pain, swelling, redness of the skin, movement of the implant, or drainage should be immediately evaluated and aggressively treated to avoid any long-term problems. Relax, enjoy your results, and simply respond appropriately to any abnormal signs or symptoms.

Cartilage grafts versus implants for the nose

+1

Autogenous cartilage grafts are always a great option. However, when patients are offered the option of  a rib graft versus an implant, the patients most likely choose an implant due to concerns of pain, cost, donor site deformity, expediency, predictability, etc.

Implants in the Nose, and the Risk of Problems

+1

My surgical friends in Asia (particularly in China and Japan) use nasal implants much more often than we do here in North America (and that type of surgery is in great demand).  Their extensive clinical  experience is much better than ours with respect to nasal implants.

It requires special training to use these implants successfully, but even in the best hands, ANY artificial implant anywhere in the body carries the risk of infection, extrusion, and subsequent deformity of the tissues.  If you have an implant in your nose and you trusted the surgeon that did it for you, what is causing your concern now?  There are a large number of people with these types of implants, but don't forget that we only hear about the ones that had a problem, never about the successful ones.  This is a type of statistical bias.  There is a distinct  historical cultural bias against these implants here in North America because the initial experience of these devices here was poor (most likely because they were being misused,  because of lack of experience and knowledge about how to use them properly).  In my training, I was strongly advised against ever using these devices.  However, in my travels in Asia I have met many surgeons who have been using these devices successfully for decades.  The nose is more difficult because the tissues are thin, the area is prone to injury, and the anatomy complex.  If you trusted your surgeon in the first place, what is causing you to doubt your surgeon now?  That said, I was trained to use only natural tissues in the nose, and that is still my strong preference, because I was trained that way, and therefore that is what I know.  I would guess that is true of most but not all surgeons trained here.

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Implant Extrusion

+1

Hi,

Implants can extrude for many reasons. Some of the more common reasons include, infection, too much tension on the implant, trauma to the implant and poor implant placement. If a well made pocket is made for the implant under sterile conditions and this is little movement of the implant in the pocket then the chances of infection are small ( less than 1%). However, if there is tension on the implant, especially in the tip area than the likely hood of infection goes up. If the implant extrudes or gets infected it should be removed, the tissue allowed to heal and a re-implantation can be performed.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS