Complications of Replacing Breast Implants with Smaller Size?

I have had a Mastectomy with two stage Breast reconstruction. The 585cc gel Breast implant feels too big for me and I want it changed to 495cc's.

Would this mean the implant would move around in the pocket?

Downsizing

+1

If you down size your implants after reconstruction, it may make the surrounding tissue sag some more.

Breast Implant reconstruction, changing size

+1

Actually, it depends upon the type of implant being used for the reconstruction. If you have a smooth round silicone impnat, implant motion is desirable and may make the breast feel more natural. If you ae using a highly cohesive gel implant, it would be a problem unless one tightens the capsule down.

I believe that you should go down at least 80 - 100 cc to see a difference, so you selection of size maybe great

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Down Sizing

+1

Yes this does mean that there will be loose skin and that implant will not fill out the implant pocket as well as the original implant. Having said that, a capsulorrhaphy, which is tightening the pocket from the inside can be done at the same time when the implants are switched out. This procedure however is not always 100% and has a tendency to not hold in some cases.

Farbod Esmailian, MD