What Complications Arise from Repairing a Spilt Abdomen

My surgeon told me that he could not repair my diastasis  recti because if he were to tighten my muscles in the middle, it would create tension at my sides and create little holes leaving me at high risk of multiple hernias- IS THIS TRUE??

Muscle Tightening

+2

It is the norm to tighten your abdominal wall muscles (correction of rectus diastasis with a plication procedure) during a tummy tuck procedure.   this muscle tightening, if done properly by a board certified plastic surgeon, will not weaken your sides.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the american society of plastic surgeons to learn more about your options.

Not true

+2

Separation of the rectus muscles or "diastasis recti" is a normal consequence of pregnancy to accommodate the expanding uterus.  The degree of separation varies from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy.  Abdominoplasty "tummy tuck" routinely involves suturing the tough, stretched abdominal wall tissue surrounding the rectus muscles to itself to reduce the separation. 

Regarding your surgeon's concern, I don't believe it is true.  Have you consulted with a plastic surgeon or a general surgeon? 

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Untruths about tummy tuck

+1
Repair of diastasis recti is a standard component of the full abdominoplasty. The notion that this could create "holes" or put you at risk for other hernias is illogical to anyone with surgical training. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon (certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of the ASPS in consultation. Always verify your surgeon's credentials and confirm that he has completed general and plastic surgical training instead of weekend courses.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Doesn't make sense to me

+1

I almost always tighten the abdominal muscles and I have never had "holes" on the sides. Get a second opinion.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

What Complications Arise From Muscle Repair During Abdominoplasty?

+1

I can't imagine getting problems with the muscles at the sides of the abdomen after repairing them at the center. I've done hundreds of these procedures for 30 years. I think either you may have misunderstood the surgeon or maybe you need to see another doctor.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD