What Are Some Complications After Breast Implants Get Removed?

I want to remove my implants however I am so scared of chest wall deformaties (my implants are bellow the chest wall) and also tissue atrophy as i had absolutely no breast tissue before. What can be done to prevent this? Thanks

Breast Implant Removal

+1

There are potential risks and complications with this procedure (as with any surgical procedure).  Steps can be taken to reduce the chances of these potential risks and complications but it is good for the patient to be informed prior to having this procedure.

Here are some of the potential risks associated with breast implant removal.

Asymmetry: Almost everyone’s breasts are different to begin with -can never guarantee that they will be perfect.

Infection: this is very rare but can be taken care of with antibiotics if it occurs.
Breast Sagging / Unsatisfactory redraping of the skin: ptosis or sagging of the breast may occur if the breast tissue stretched as a result of the breast implants does not tighten up post-surgery.

Loss of nipple/areola sensation: Numbness may occur temporarily or permanently from traumatizing sensory nerves in the breast during the procedure.
Inability to breast feed: this is not exact because some patients cannot breast feed prior to the surgery.

Inability to predict exact cup size: we will discuss your goals and do our best to achieve them.

Emotional / Physiological changes: it does take time to get used to the physical changes after breast implant removal surgery, especially for those who have had breast implants for quite some time.

Fluid Accumulation (seroma): Tissue fluid may build up in the area where the breast implant was removed. Additional treatment would be necessary to remove the excess fluid.
Contour Depression / Inversion of Nipple Areola Complex:

Unsatisfactory Results:

Displeasing breast size / shape: After breast implant removal, the breasts will not look the way they did prior to breast augmentation. It may take time to physically and emotionally get used to the loss of breast size / volume after implant removal.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/breast-implant-removal.htm

Risks of Breast Implant Removal

+1

After breast implant removal there will be a large volume loss due to the implant. Some of the breast tissue will usually retract while the remaining tissue will fall. There are multiple options to prevent complications like liposuction or a breast lift. While these options could help, you must be examined by a plastic surgeon to find out the best option for you.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Implant Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com/pages/breast

You should not have any chest wall deformity after the removal of the implants

+1

Even if your implants are submuscular, removal should not result in any chest deformity. Depending on the size of your implants, number of years you had them and quality of skin (more or less laxity, pregnancy fluctuation of weight) you might have more or less ptosis (sagginess of the breasts), which could be corrected at the same time - when necessary - with a skin re-tightening procedure.

Ask your surgeon to show you some photos of patient who underwent the same procedure and this will put your mind at rest.

Regards

Andrea Marando

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast shape after breast implant removal

+1

Thank you for the question. It would be difficult to answer your questions accurately without photos. Generally speaking, removing the implants will result in volume loss and the shape and size of the breast will be determined by the amount of breast tissue left. I do not think you will have chest wall deformity even if the implants were placed under the muscle. You need to see pictures of patients who had the implants removed and not replaced. That will help you getting a clear picture of what the shape will be like after explanation.