13yrs Post Rhinoplasty with no Complications: is a Follow up Still Necessary?

I am a 27 year old female of Korean descent and I had the rhinoplastic surgery (silastic?) completed 13 years ago. I am very happy with my results and am also very fortunate to say that I've had no complications thus far! But I am wondering- is a follow-up appointment something I should consider? Also,is a replacement necessary/recommended after a certain period? Should I replace the silastic with bone/tissue? It ain't broke! So do I fix it?

Very Few Things Need to Be Done When Something is 13 Years Old

+1

Hi Lil,

If you are 13 post rhinoplasty with a silastic implant, follow up is not necessary, it does not need to be removed or replaced, but you may want to consider giving it a Bat Mitzvah! 

Hopefully you will be able to keep your implant the rest of your life.  If there are any signs of infection do not hesitate to visit a rhinoplasty specialist.  Good luck and be well.  Mazal Tov,

Dr. P

13 Years after Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

If  you are satisfied  13 years after plaacement of the silicone nasal implant, don't do anything other than enjoy your result. However, there is always a risk that your implant could move, extrude, or become infected. If you experience swelling, tenderness, redness, or movement of the implant see a rhinoplasty surgeon at that time.

Long-term rhinoplasty follow-up

+1

If you are 13 years out from your rhinoplasty and you had a nasal implant used, the likelihood of you having future problems is slim to none barring any trauma to your nose. Follow-up is not likely necessary although some surgeons like to see patients for many years so they can see what age related changes occur more for education purposes than anything else.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone nasal implant

+1

If things continue without complications you do not need either a follow up visit nor replacement. If something about the nose changes by all means see a board certified plastic surgeon or board certified ENT physician

Ernest D. Cronin, MD

Asian rhinoplasty with nasal implants

+1

If you’re happy with your nasal features and there are no problems such as implant infection or swelling after 13 years, I would not recommend surgery for you. As you said don’t fix things that are not broken. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO

No follow up required for a stable Rhinoplasty result

+1

No, your nose is stable after 13 years after your Rhinoplasty and is not likely to have any changes at this point, IMHO.

Silastic nasal implant without problem.

+1
You said it! If you are not having a problem there is no need to do anything. Should you have any swelling or redness see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Nasal implants won't need replacement

+1

A nasal implant can run into problems even years after placement, though if yours is well then routine follow up is not necessary. It is also not necessary to replace the implant if you look well and the implant is comfortable and performing well. Hope it lasts a lifetime.

peterejohnsonmd

Silicone nasal implant follow up

+1

If you are still happy with the results of your silicone nasal implant for augmentation and there are no concerns or visible abnormalities a routine follow up at 13 years is not indicated.  It is not necessary to replace the nasal silicone implant just because it is 13 years old.  Glad you are happy.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Silastic implants in the nose

+1

If it aint broke don't fix it. it does not need to be replaced if you are happy with the results. You will know if the implant is a problem. You will see redness or even pointing of the implant under the skin.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD