Is this a complicated rhino?

I need my deviated septum fixed, I thought I'd leave the appearance alone, but I'd like to research my options to see if my desire to change my nose is achievable.    I basically have a bump on my bridge, my nose is crooked due to the deviation which results in a un-feminine profile, one side is better than the other also because of the way my nose curves.    I'll post a photo, I'd ideally like the bump to be removed so that the bridge of my nose is almost a straight line, no groove like some may prefer. If I straightened it and had the bump removed, is that a complicated septo? Can anyone tell me what they think a surgeon may suggest based on their own research? I hear about narrowing or even shortening the nose altogether, is just straightening a removing the hump going to allow me to still look the same, with just a better profile? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

Is this a complicated rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty are 2 completely separate operations that can be performed at the same time.  Rhinoplasty is performed purely for cosmetic reasons and must be paid for by the patient.  The septoplasty procedure is done for medical necessity and is billed to medical insurance.  The rhinoplasty involves straightening and narrowing the nose.  The depressions on one side of the nose will involve cartilage grafting, such as spreader graft. 
The hump is composed of bony cartilage and once the large hump is removed, osteotomies will need to be performed to prevent a flat-topped open roof nasal deformity.  The rhinoplasty and septoplasty procedures are performed as outpatient procedures under general anesthesia.

Is this a complicated rhino?

+1

Aesthetically speaking the nose has a large dorsal hump of both cartilage and bone.  A closed Rhinoplasty to reduce this dorsal hump (with osteotomies to close the open roof after hump removal) and some tip thinning is a relatively straightforward Rhino IMHO. Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty and chin implant will improve overall appearance

+1

Dear Breanne,

Although not a true profile, I can see that you would also benefit from a chin implant to balance your overall appearance. The dorsal hump is easily fixed. A septoplasty would straighten the curvature that is not apparent in your photo. Removing the dorsal hump and adding a chin implant will drastically improve your profile.  If you are having problems with your deviated septum (ie, breathing), you may want to consider having your insurance cover the septoplasty. 

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

First, choose the right surgeon

+1

In regard to rhinoplasty plus septoplasty, this is not complicated in most cases and a good result is usually obtained.  The most difficult part is picking a surgeon who thinks like you do in terms of your final result.  My best advice to anyone is to ask the surgeon to let you speak to several of their previous rhinoplasty patients, either from recently or years before, to see how the work was done, how the surgeon followed up, and how satisfied they are with their appearance and function.

James Carraway, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Is this a complicated rhino?

+1

Every Rhinoplasty is difficult because each one is so different from the next. The first thing I will tell you is that none of us can comment on how difficult yours would be without a full internal and external evaluation. Septoplasty surgery can be easy and it can be hard, it depends on the degree of deviation and what part of the septum is diseased. I perform all of my Rhinoplasty surgeries with an open approach to that I can look right at the bone and cartilage that I am trying to reshape. From your picture there are many delicate maneuvers that can be done to take down the bump, refine and reshape the tip, and correct your deviation problem. You can have a wonderful result in the right hands. You need to make sure you find a board certified surgeon who is experienced in nasal surgery and I think you will be so happy with your results. If you are considering anything cosmetic then it would only make sense to do it in conjunction with your septal surgery. Communication is key, make sure your surgeon and you are on the same page with what results you are looking for.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty and septum

+1

Your nose based upon the one photo does not look particularly difficult.  However, I would reserve further comment until a proper exam is performed.

Complicated septorhinoplasty?

+1

Fro the single photo and description it does not sound particularly difficult. Go get a consultation from an experienced surgeon. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Is this a complicated rhino?

+1

Hello, in reviewing the one photo that you posted I will say that a number of issues need to be addressed. Based on this photo you will benefit from a rhinoplasty as well as a  chin augmentation and submental liposuction. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Rhinoplasty Options

+1

From your photo, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty to both reshape your nose and perhaps a septoplasty to improve your breathing. Fortunately, these are commonly performed together. Although one photo is not enough, in general you would need a reduction in the bump, narrowing of the tip, bringing the nose closer to your face and then keeping it all in balance with your face. See a surgeon who is familiar with this operation and get a more accurate opinion from an in person consultation.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Is this a complicated rhino?

+1

Rhinoplasty is the most complicated procedure performed by Facial Plastic Surgeons. However, as rhinoplasties go your concerns are not any more complicated the average person seeking to change the appearance of their nose. You deserve an in-person consultation with a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon to address your specific questions. I would also suggest based on the limited photo you posted that you might also be a candidate for chin implant to better balance the middle and lower face. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon