How Complicated Would This Rhinoplasty Procedure Be? (Photo)

All Rhinoplasty procedures are quite complicated, I understand this. But I feel that my nose is so large, has a hump too and my nostrils are big, which may make it diffucult to work on increasing the chance of complications. What I want is for my nose not to appear so big on my face. I don't want a massive procedure or a completely different nose, just a slightly smaller version of the nose. I'm not afraid of small imperfections, I'm afraid my nose may collapse or something to this magnitude.

Complicated Rhinoplasty

+1

The size of a patients nose will not increase the risk of complications, including nasal collapse.  You have very realistic expectations and should be very satisfied if the work is done by an experienced rhinolasty surgeon. You did not ask but consider a chin implant which will help bring your nose into proportion with the rest of your facial features.

Larger hump reduction does not make rhinoplasty more complicated

+1

As you well pointed out, all rhinoplasty procedures are complicated.  That being said, the size of the hump does not make it any more complicated.  A simple hump reduction, osteotomies, addressing the nasal tip, and possible alarplasty can be performed to give a natural appearing nose.  There is still a 10% chance of having to come back for a touchup procedure a year down the road in all rhinoplasty procedures.  The nose will not collapse if surgery is performed properly.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Of course an exam in person is the best way to be evaluated. From your photo and your description it sounds like a reasonable approach to your nose.  Go for the consultation. Good luck.

Reducing a Prominent Nose

+1

There are many ways to reduce the appearance of a prominent nose.  Your photo is not ideal, but there are several things that would improve your overall facial balance including considering a chin implant or a radix graft.  This is one of those times where having a consultation with a plastic surgeon that will morph your photos can be very helpful in terms of deciding on the right procedure for you.  As for the actual surgical procedure, it is not complicated as rhinoplasty goes. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Complicated Would This Rhinoplasty Procedure Be?

+1

From the photo the nose has a large dorsal hump with an under rotated nasal tip.  A Closed Rhinoplasty could be done with removal of the dorsal hump which would require breaking the nasal bones.  I would also recommend a Chin Implant to aesthetically balance the lower face which could be done at the same time.

I have performed Rhinoplasty and revision Rhinoplasty for well over 22 years and while Rhinoplasty is one of the most technically difficult plastic surgery procedures, I don't see anything here that makes this more than a standard primary Rhinoplasty.  IMHO, the most common complication with any plastic and comsetic surgery procedure or treatment, including Rhinoplasty, is a lack of understanding the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a natutrally, more attractive nose and face.  

What can be done to make the nose smaller?

+1

It is difficult to tell for sure from your photo but it appears that if you are dissatisfied with the shape of your nose then a rhinoplasty is possible.  The key is you can make a big nose smaller but can not make a big nose small.  The nasal hump can be reduced and the nose can be shaped to fit your other facial features   A consultation with a plastic surgeon is the next step