Can TCA be Used on a Fair Complexion which Tans Easily?

My complexion is fair & tans easily w/ little burning if protected. I heal very well, get little to no scaring. I've been avoiding the sun since late summer 2010 after a Dr visit where I was told I was too olive for TCA. I'm not olive, I was just end of FL summer tanned. So now I'm faded again & trying to re-visit TCA. A lifelong sun worshiper, I now have brown/sun spots on my face. Not too bad but they're on my face. Is TCA really not for Miami's freckled &fair who tans easily?

TCA for fair skin who tans easily

+2

TCA comes in different strengths. The medium depth strength of 35% should still be safe for someone who is fair skinned. You need to see a dermatologist who is trained in cosmetic procedures to get safe optimal results .

Boulder Dermatologist

TCA good option for "Freckled and Fair" skin

+1

From what you describe, a TCA should be a good treatment option for your skin.  While their is a  risk of hypopigmentation after chemical peels in any skin type, it is highly unlikely in yours.  I would recommend a foundation of retinoids, glycolic and hydroquinones to control and reduce hyperpigmentation, and as a pre-peel regimen starting about 1 month prior.  This helps to ensure a more even response to the peeling agent.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

TCA for fair complexion which tans easily

+1

Your skin type would still make you a good candidate for TCA peels.  Low to medium-depth peels are generally safe for individuals with your complexion, but even with a medium-depth peel, temporary brown discoloration (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) and rarely, scarring can occur.  You would want to consult with a practitioner who is experienced with peeling, who can help minimize these risks.

San Diego Dermatologist

Fair complexion patients who tan easily do good with various TCA peels.

+1

For your skin you may need a few various TCA peels to get rid of the age spots but should do well.  See your dermatologist and get started.

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

TCA chemical peels

+1

Dear Yvonne Freckled & Fair in FL:

TCA is a strong agent, but I find it to be extremely versatile. TCA is available in a wide range of concentrations, so the result can be tailored to each patient. Unlike phenol, TCA can be used on a wider variety of skin tones. The experience of the person doing the peel is paramount. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist in your area who is experienced.

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.