Need a "Complex Revision" Breast Surgery, Quote is $15-18k...this Seems So Expensive?

I have low hanging (700cc) over muscle, size 36 DDD breast implants, want smaller "C" cups + lift. Went 2 PS: for a "complex revision" quote :$15-18k depending on amt of Strattice needed. Much more than I anticipated! Is this reasonable for Phoenix area? This includes MD fee if $7500, Impants $2200, Strattice $2700-3000, anesthesia x 3 hrs $1000, facility x 3 hrs: $1700. Do. PS give medical personnel discounts? (RN) Or cash payer discounts? Hate to make this about the $, but wow.

Breast implant surgery

+1

It is impossible to tell what your options are without seeing photos. Usually, there are multiple options for a case like yours.  Strattice is expensive stuff and may not be necessary in your situation.  It as only been around a few years, and I think it is being overused.  You may well have good options that are not as complex or costly.

$15,000-$17,000 is a lot to pay for revisional breast augmentation surgery.

+1

First of all, I would get several opinions as the use of Strattice and like products is somewhat controversial. A simpler and cheaper operation may yield just as good result.

+1

Your “sticker shock” is certainly understandable. On the other hand, the type of surgery that you describe, along with the time, materials, personnel, and overall expertise necessary to achieve quality results, make the charges seem reasonable.

You are correct in that finances should not be the primary concern. Achieving the best results possible, hopefully avoiding the need for additional surgery in the short term, should be the goal.

Considering the type of surgery you are considering, I would suggest that you do your due diligence carefully;  make sure that your plastic surgeon can demonstrate significant experience achieving the results you are looking for. Preferably, speak to other patients who have similar procedures performed.

If concerned, it will not hurt to seek additional consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons with significant and demonstrable experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery.  You will likely find that there is some degree of variation when it comes to opinions offered and costs involved…

You may find the attached link, helpful to you as you learn more about revisionary breast surgery.

+1

If you want to travel to Los Angeles,  you may find a plastic surgeon to perform these procedures for less.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year and has written on the use of Strattice in the literature.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Important to get revision surgery right the first time

+1

Cost is of course a valid and important consideration but surgeons with expertise and experience doing the type of complex revision with Strattice can help minimize the chances that you would need additional surgery later, which could end up costing more overall.

Richard Baxter, MD

Quote seems close, discount for medical personnel usually available

+1

Hello Phoenix Nurse,

Thank you for the question.  The implant, strattice, anesthesia, and facility fees are about right for silicone implants and the type of procedures that will be needed.  Depending on what your plastic surgeon intends to do the surgeons fee can be appropriate as well.  Implant removal and placement of new implants under the muscle, placement of strattice, and either a breast lift or large amount of capsullorhaphy (pocket suturing) should run about the amount that you have been quoted.  Discounts are always at the surgeons discretion but I routinely give medical personnel a discount.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD