How Long After Rhinoplasty Until I Can Return to Normal Daily Life?

I had been dreaming of a new nose since I was 13 and finally I got it 29 days ago. I am extremely concerned of damaging my nose so I literally don't do anything that may harm it. My question is, can I start going to crowded places, drinking, doing gestures completely and almost everything? If not how long should I wait more? My school is starting in a couple days so I really want to know what I should avoid from? Thank you so much.

Returning to Normal Life after Rhinoplasty Surgery

+3

Hi New york8421 in New york,

Plastic surgeons typically recommend 2 weeks of restricted activity such as bicycle, running, yoga, or sex and 6 weeks for contact sports such as volleyball, basketball, or soccer. Touching the nose is avoided early after the procedure and your plastic surgeon will let you know it's OK to touch or massage. One month after surgery you should have a routine daily life, but may still feel tightness or numbness which is expected.

Rhinoplasty swelling occurs both on the outside and inside of the nose. It is normal to feel congested and have nasal obstruction and postnasal drip immediately after rhinoplasty surgery. Patients are generally "restaurant ready" and socially acceptable within 2 weeks. Most swelling after rhinoplasty resolves within a month. The final 20% of swelling takes a much longer time to resolve, up to a year or longer after surgery. Fortunately, this final swelling is usually only evident to the surgeon and patient.

Rhinoplasty swelling varies greatly and is largely based on the areas of the nose treated, surgical approach to the nose (open or closed/endonasal), skin thickness, postoperative care, and your healing ability. The more extensive the surgery, the more you will swell and the longer the swelling will last. The tip of the nose holds onto swelling longer than the other parts of the nose. Open rhinoplasty, where there is an external incision at the base of the nose, swells more and longer than closed/endonasal rhinoplasty. Patients with thicker skin will also have more swelling.

Keeping your head elevated, maintaining the nasal splint/cast, ice, arnica montana, and following your plastic surgeon's guideline may help reduce rhinoplasty swelling. Persistant swelling may also be reduced by steroid treatment into the nose.

Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon to help guide your post rhinoplasty recovery.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

When can you resume life after rhinoplasty?

+2

I recommend 2 weeks before returning to work or school. The bruising will be gone. The swelling will have started to resolve sufficiently that most people are comfortable being seen in public again. As the nose is weakened from surgery, although you can touch your nose to clean it, the nose must not be moved, even slightly for several weeks. Moving the nose may cause it shift inside. Therefore you must avoid any activity like sports where there is a chance on bumping it for 6 weeks. Flying is OK after a month.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Return to normal activity after rhinoplasty

+2

Following a rhinoplasty, I usually give my patients about 1 week to go back to light activity.  After 2 weeks, they are allowed to return to normal, full activity, as long as their nose does not get hit for 6 weeks.  After 6 weeks, the nose should be strong enough to withstand most activity.

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after rhinoplasty surgery...

+1

Normally after you have a rhinoplasty you should be able to return to normal activites 2 weeks after surgery.  Typically, the bones are healed after 4-6 weeks.  At 29 days, your nose should be healed enough to take practically any activity.  Obviously, if it is hit with significant force, you can break it just like anybody else, but you should be in good shape at the present time.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect after a Rhinoplasty

+1

The return to normal activity after rhinoplasty should be taken in steps.

The first week to ten days, you should avoid lifting, bending , stooping, and straining. These activities could cause bleeding.

It takes the nasal bones of a young healthy adult about six weeks to regain their strength. Up to six weeks, you should avoid activities that could result in a bump or trauma to your nose.

After the splint is removed, it is very common to see blocked pores, acne, and blackheads on the nose. A "buff-puff" can be purchased at the drug store. The mild mechanical abrasion will open the pores and improve your skin .

About one week after surgery, irrigating your nose with saline nose drops will keep the inside clean.

I hope this advice helps. Check with your surgeon, he should be able to guide you.

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Other than contact sports, there really isn't much you can do to adversely affect your surgery.  Try to wait 3-6 months before contact sports

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

One Should The Risk Of Physical Contact Or Sports Activities For Three Months After A Rhinoplasty

+1

At one month after rhinoplasty, you can resume all normal social activities. However, anything that runs the risk of accidental trauma to your nose should be avoided for a minimum of three months and more conservatively up to six months after a rhinoplasty. This would include many sporting activities with the exception of more solitary or non-contact activities like working out or running.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

How Long After Rhinoplasty Until I Can Return to Normal Daily Life

+1

At one month after surgery, you should be able to do everything except contact sports, but check with your surgeon just to be sure!  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

It sounds like you are about a month out from your procedure. Barring anything unusual done surgically, you should be able to resume most normal activities at this time withou any restrictions.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

1 month after rhinoplasty you should be fine to return to your normal activities.  However, you should just be cautious about bumping your nose.  Otherwise, you should be fine.

Enjoy your new nose!

David Shafer, MD