Compare Outcome of Septoplasty or Use of CPAP Machine.

Should I have septoplasty or undergo sleep testing to get a CPAP machine? I broke my nose in a car wreck six years ago and recently have begun snoring so badly that I wake myself up.

Snoring ... #RealSelf100

Hello there,
I would strongly recommend a dental sleep apnea device.  It looks just like a mouth guard that an athlete would wear.  In goes completely inside of your mouth with no parts or cords to attach.  It re-positions your jaw forward, while you sleep, allowing for unobstructed mouth breathing.  It works great for sleep apnea.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD
Real Self 100

Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist

Obstructive sleep apnea may be due to obstruction and many different levels in addition to the nasal septum

Airway obstruction can occur at many different levels (i.e. nasal septum, soft palate, tongue base, pharynx etc.).  If your snoring is severe enough to warrant a CPAP machine, then septoplasty is unlikely to resolve it.  Undergoing a sleep study (polysomnography) is an important first step to determine the severity of your sleep apnea.  Once that is quantified, the appropriateness of surgical vs.nonsurgical treatment options can be evaluated.   

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Septoplasty and use of CPAP

A septoplasty will straighten out the broken internal portion of the nose and get a patient breathing much better out of their nose.  A CPAP machine is not necessary unless the diagnosis of sleep apnea has been made during a sleep study test.  The sleep test is performed while the patient sleeps at the hospital overnight and monitored closely for sleep apnea.  If the diagnosis of sleep apnea has been made, then a CPAP machine is in order.  A simple straightening of both the septum and the nose will help with breathing function.  Snoring is a harmonic vibration of the soft palate, which can be made worse by breathing issues.  A CPAP machine is not used for snoring.  

Septoplasty for sleep apnea

In general a septoplasty does not significantly improve sleep apnea.  It is usually only one aspect in the treatment plan.  If sleep apnea is suspected, a sleep study should be completed to see what would be the best course of action( CPAP vs surgical treatment).  Donald R. Nunn Atlanta Plastic Sugeon.

Donald Nunn, MD