What is the Most Common Side Effect of PRK?

Are the side effects treatable, correctable with other procedures?

Side effects of PRK

+1

The most common side effect of any type of laser vision correction is temporary dryness of the eye. This occurs because the laser impacts the nerves in the cornea. These nerves will grow back in a few months. The dryness after PRK is usually less than after LASIK as the treatment in LASIK extends deeper into the cornea.

New York Ophthalmologist

Side effects of PRK

+1

In my experience the most common side effect from PRK is dryness.  Although there may not be as much dryness with PRK as with LASIK, I tell my patients to expect dry eyes for at least three to four months after PRK.  We encourage out patients to start Restasis preoperatively as we believe that patients are more comfortable and see better with its use.  Some may not notice a feeling of dryness but recognize that they need to blink a few times in order for their vision to clear.  This is commonly dryness as well.

Chicago Ophthalmologist

Most common side effect of PRK

+1

Most likely the most common "side effect" of PRK, as with LASIK, is a relative dryness of the eyes due to a temporary laser effect on the corneal nerves. In anticipation of this, in my practice I treat all patients, whether their eyes are dry or not, prophylactically pre-operatively and post-operatively for dry eye. With the proper treatment the symptoms of dryness can typically be reduced and in many cases eliminated entirely.

New York Ophthalmologist