Sleeping on Stomach or Side After Breast Implants (Long-Term)

What are the odds a person will find it uncomfortable to sleep on her side or stomach following breast augmentation (assuming it was never uncomfortable to do so pre-op)? (I am not talking about during the recovery period).

Sleeping on stomach after breast implants

+3

This can be a real problem after very large implants have been inserted into a small woman.  I have seen referals that state they need a pillow to help   position their head while sleeping in the  prone position (stomach).  I always caution patients about not going overboard when choosing a size.

Sleeping on the stomach after breast implants

+3

Once you are healed and beyond the usual post op discomfort and stiffness, you should be able to sleep on your stomach and side. The one condition that might make this sleeping position difficult or uncomfortable would be severe capsular contracture. Capsular contracture is a tightening of the scar tissue that surrounds the breast implant; resulting in a round, firm to hard breast. About 1-2%  of patients have severe hardening that might interfere with sleeping on the stomach. In all my years of plastic surgery experience, this is an extremely rare complaint from patients.

Don't worry about this. Find a good surgeon and get the new breasts that you want .

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on your stomach after breast augmentation

+2

You should avoid sleeping on your stomach for the first few months after having breast augmentation.  After that time period, you can resume sleeping on your stomach if that is the most comfortable position for you.

Stomach sleeping in the early recovery period can cause the implants to displace laterally (toward the side).

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Sleeping on your front with implants

+1
This all depends on the individual. In general, larger implants may make sleeping on your front a little more uncomfortable. Smaller implants may not interfere at all.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast surgery and sleeping

+1

While sleeping on your side is probably ok, I think it wil be extremely uncomfortable to sleep on your stomach for several weeks.