Is It a Common Practice to Perform Circumferential Tummy Tuck Under IV Sedation Only?

SEDATION FOR CIRCUMFERENTIAL ABDOMINOPLASTY

+1

In my opinion a circumferential Abdominoplasty should be done under general endotracheal anesthesia. This way the airway is always controlled and this is critical when the patient is face down.In addition, the muscles can be relaxed enabling me to tighten the abdominal wall better.

Less local anesthesia is needed as well .

All in all, I would never consider performing this procedure under local anesthesia and IV sedation.

Lower body lift under iv sedation

+1

Performing a tummy tuck, particularly a circumferential one (aka lower body lift), is always done under general anesthesia in my practice and experience. It would be very uncommon to have this procedure done under IV sedation and the reason why one would want to attempt to do so remains unclear to me. It would be far more comfortable, time efficient and use much less local anesthetic injections to have it done under general anesthesia. This is not an approach that I would ever do.

Web reference: http://www.eppleytummytuck.com

Tummy Tuck Surgery under Intravenous Sedation?

+1

Although I am not aware of exact percentages, I believe that most plastic surgeons will perform any type of tummy tuck surgery under general anesthesia. In my practice, all tummy tuck surgery is done in a fully accredited surgery center under the supervision of well experienced board-certified anesthesiologists.

Safety is the first concern with any type of surgery. In my opinion, placing a patient in the prone position  without “protecting the airway” with an endotracheal tube, is not good practice.  This prone position is necessary to perform the “circumferential tummy tuck” procedure.

I would suggest that you check the training and certification of your plastic surgeon carefully; make sure that he/she is certified by the American Board of plastic surgery.

I hope this helps

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm