How Common is This Post-rhinoplasty Procedure? Benefits? Risks? (photo)

I had a limited rhinoplasty done. My surgeon says that my nasal bones have shifted outward, back towards their original position. This has left noticeable protrusions in my nose at the upper bridge (pictured below). My doctor has suggested putting me under local anesthesia and doing some "carpentry" on these areas. How common is this "shifting" and required "carpentry" occurrence? Is this procedure likely to work given the degree of protrusion? Risks? Thanks in advance for your help.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

When done by an experienced surgeon you will achieve a good result with a revision procedure. I suggest you get a second opinion because it sounds like you are no longer confident in your surgeon, even though you may finally choose to have him do the operation.

How Common is This Post-rhinoplasty Procedure? Benefits? Risks?

+1

You'd have to ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon as only he/she knows what they plan on doing.  Only two choices to reduce deflected nasal bones...either rasp the bone or re-break them.  Both would be better and easier on the patient, IMO, using a general anesthetic and not local.  

+1

Thanks for posting the 2 photos. I can not assume they are a before & after. I think you posted 2 afters, one on normal breathing the left on inhalation through the nose. If I am correct than not only do you have a few issues but your internal nasal valve or upper lateral cartilages are over resected. In your case, without the benefit of an in person nasal examination, I would not consider revision under LOCAL!. You need a few in person second opinions before doing anything. Follow up would be nice. 

You may benefit from a second opinion regarding further nasal surgery.

+1

I reviewed your concerns and photos:

If the photo on the left is "before", and if the photo on the right is "after", you do not appear to have had a significant change in your appearance.

If you're concerned by the protrusion of your nasal bones high up on your bridge, my personal preference would be to address this under general anesthetic. You may require osteotomies to reposition your nasal bones, and in my view, this is best performed with your airway protected and general anesthetic.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty for the crooked nose.

+1

The success of the revision rhinoplasty for the crooked nose depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon. It is not normally risky and should be possible to end up with a straighter nose.