How Common is It to Have Lower Blepharoplasty and Have Cheek Fat Elevated Through the Same Incision?

I have this surgery scheduled next week. Can't decide if I should do the cheek lift because of the bad reviews on this website. Also, how about having the corrugator muscle removed at the same time as the upper blepharoplasty? Is this usually successful? Please help me decide! Have been so excited but now getting worried!!

Be wary of trans conjunctival cheek lift.

+2

This is a procedure often times with complications. It should be done by someone who does this frequent.

+2

I am not a fan of cheek fat suspension or what has also been called a midface lift or suspension.  Fat won't hold sutures as it lacks the tensile strength to do so.  More importantly, suspending the much heavier cheek fat, against gravity is far more likely to pull the lower eyelid downward.  If you want more aesthetically attractive cheeks, shape them using fillers (I prefer Perlane), by removing excess fat with micro-liposuction or by using cheek implants.  These are far more effective and reliable in my opinion.  Hope this helps.

Lower Blepharoplasty and Cheek Lift

+2

Lifting what you call cheek fat, or what plastic surgeons call the SOOF, is a well recognized procedure done through and in conjunction with a lower blepharoplasty. Corrugator excision may help lessen the amount of glabellar furrowing but it will not weaken it significantly long term. In essence, it does not have a Botox-like effect.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Blepharoplasty questions - upper and lower lids with corragator excision

+2

As part of a lower eyelid blepharoplasty it is not uncommon to reposition the medial fat and laterally raise the malar fat pad to fill in the lateral orbital depression.  Corragator excision is usually successful in weakening the muscles that cause the vertical creases between the eyebrows.  

Cheek fat elevation

+2

Rose, not sure what "cheek fat" your surgeon is elevating via your lower lid so I cannot tell if it's a good idea or not. I do a "SOOF lift blepharoplasty" frequently in my office and it works quite well.  If this is what your surgeon is recommending and he/she is skilled at their profession than I would hope that you would be happy. Look at a lot of you surgeons photos, if you are not comfortable get more opinions. Seek experienced surgeons who specialize in you area of concern. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and cheek fat

+1

We do not suspend cheek fat in the mid face. The midface ages by  Volumetric contraction and loss overall fat volume, therefore we replace the lost cheek volume with cheek implants composed of Silastic. They're inserted through intraoral approach and can be done  at the same time as a  blepharoplasty.