What is the Most Common Location for the Incision with a Body Lift?

Placement of the incision for a 360 or lower body lift.

+1

For the most patients, the 360 or lower body lift incision is placed in the same area. For women, this is typically below any prior C-section scars. Typically, in females, the incision is placed 6 cm above the clitoris; in males, the incision is placed 6 cm above the base of the penis. In both male and female, the incision extends laterally and gently rises around the hips. If there is a significant amount of skin and fat in the upper outer thigh, I make the lateral thigh incision somewhat higher. If there are significant saddlebags in the lower outer thigh, I place the incision lower. The incision then gently slopes downward to the top of the buttock crease. I find that males carry a significant amount of excess skin and fat in their upper buttocks above the beltline. Accordingly, sometimes in males, the 360 or body lift incision is placed somewhat higher than females. If you have pre-existing scars from prior surgeries, like an open gallbladder, your planned 360 or lower body lift incision patterns maybe different. Please examine multiple "before and after" photos of different board-certified plastic surgeons to see the different positions of a 360 or lower body lift incision and resulting scar.

Good luck with your research. Good luck with your weight-loss journey.

Sincerely, Dr.Katzen

Where Are My Scars In A Body Lift?

+1

The term body lift usually refers to a tummy tuck with associated lower body lift (the back side of a tummy tuck).  If your question is about the tummy tuck, the scar is usually one or more inches below the pubic hair and goes up to each hip bone.  If you are referring to the back side of a tummy tuck, the scar is normally about 1/2" above the beginning of the interglutial fold (the crease that separates the two cheeks of the buttocks).  This then goes horizontally around and dovetails into the tummy tuck scar. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Body Lift Incision

+1

The most common location for the incision with a body lift is below the pubic bone & it goes 360 degrees so the scar will be from hip to hip on the lower part of the tummy.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Incision For Body Lift Varies Somewhat

+1

I agree with Dr Aldea that there can be some variance in the location of the incision for a lower body lift.  Having said that, my usual incision is a standard abdominoplasty incision which continues fairly high laterally at the upper hip area.  The incision then descends a bit to continue across the upper buttocks area between the buttocks crease and the waist area.  This enables removal of excess skin in t he abdomen, flanks, lateral thighs, buttocks, and lower back.

John Whitt, MD

Body Lift Scar

+1

Every patient is different with what they need in regards to surgery but the most common procedure is the tummy tuck (and therefore the scar from hip to hip on the lower part of the tummy)... most patients who have had massive weight loss have to also take the tummy tuck scar into the back to address the extra skin in that area (so then the scar may go around to the back).  See an experienced plastic surgeon who performs LOTS of these procedures to get a good examination.  Patients who have had significant weight loss usually have skin elasticity issues that should also be addressed. 

+1

People lose weight (and deflate) differently resulting in different patterns of skin sagging. But - the most common site of skin loss is the tummy and 99.9% of people have a tummy overhang, "pooch", "mommy tummy" or "muffin top". As a result, flattening of the tummy becomes the most common request and as a result of the need to remove loose, damaged (stretch marks) and hanging tummy skin, a tummy tuck incision (scar)is the most common Body lift scar.

When combined with a Buttock Lift scar, the belt like scar is the Body Lift scar.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Bodylift Incision

+1

The primary goal of body contouring surgery is to restore shape and symmetry.    In order to obtain the optimal result for each patient, the incision varies depending on the body habitus and skin distribution.   Our goal for a belt lipectomy incision is to have the final scar hide within a bikini/underwear line.     Adjustments may be necessary to maximize skin removal and provide ideal shape to the buttocks, hips, outer thighs, flanks, and abdomen.   It is important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with a special interest in body contouring after weight loss.  

Paul S. Gill, MD