Is It Common for a Lipoma to Return in a Three Week Time Period.

I had one removed about the size of a golfball from my sternum three weeks ago. No pain or discomfort, but a simular lump has reapeared. could it be just swelling. I will see my surgen in a few days.

Not Lipoma byVillar

+1

Fluid collection or hematoma is the most likely differential diagnosis.  Fat would not regenerate so fast, though lipomas can recur over long periods of time. You may be interested in another option for removal if you develop another one in the future.  Best wishes. Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

Lump

+1

you more than likely have a fluid accumulation of serous fluid or blood. its called a seroma or hematoma.  if its painful and red it could be an infection but  that is much more rare just removing a lipoma.

the other possiblity is that part or all the lipoma wasnt removed.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon

Lipoma

+1

See your surgeon, you may have a seroma, hematoma or infection.......................................