How Common is a Large (2inches Long, 1.5 Inches Wide, 1/2 Inch Deep) Abdominoplasty Dehiscence ?

I had abdominoplasty with liposuction of the flanks about 6 weeks ago. An existing scar from a previous surgery (35 yrs ago) caused the surgical scar to pop open 1 week after surgery. It slowly increased in size until the third week, it then grew over night. There is no odor nor pus. My PS took two cultures and prescribed antibiotics. I am now having to pack the wound 3-4 times daily. I am unable to find alot of info on this. My PS is optimistic but seems puzzled. Has anyone else seen this?

Dehiscence of tummy tuck wound

+1

There are many different causes of dehiscence of abdominal wounds. The good thing is that many go on to heal without any long term sequelae. Once healed, if the scar does not look good, it can be revised usually about a year later.

Tummy Tuck and Incision Line Separation?

+1

Separation of the incision line after tummy tuck surgery does occur occasionally. Dressing changes and/or other modalities of treatment may be necessary until the wound heals.  Although the wounds  are understandably anxiety provoking for patients, they tend to heal well over the course of several weeks. Scar revision surgery may be necessary eventually. I'm happy to hear that your plastic surgeon is  following you closely.