How Common is Labiaplasty After Childbirth?

What is the most popular technique used after childbirth for a labiaplasty?

Labiaplasty procedure after childbirth for large labia minora

+1

Labiaplasty is caused by a stretching of the labia minora, and can occur as a normal developmental change or as a result of childbirth. Commonly, I remove the excess labia tissue with a V shaped excision using local anesthesia and tumescent solution. 

Labiaplasty after Childbirth

+1

Some women choose to have a labioplasty after having children to correct a deformity or trauma to the labia that may have occured during childbirth.  However, it is more common for women to come in to correct the appearance or deformity to the labia that is unrelated to pregnancy and chlldbirth.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty technique for beautiful results after prenancy

+1

It usually is not pregnancy itself that causes enlarged labia majora.  It is usually present for some time before, but many women choose to have a renewed focus on their bodies after pregnancy and if they havent addressed it previously, are very likely to.  My prefered technique is a modified wedge.  Depending on patient anatomy this usually offers a vastly superior result as the roled exposed edge of the labia minora remains surgically unaltered and a natural curvature can be created that is not susceptable to distortion from the suture line healing.  In patients with very thick labia minora with little anatomical definition a trim technique with a W-plasty excision can work well but I prefer to hide suture lines out of view and harms way.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Labiaplasty after childbirth

+1

Although women do present for Labiaplasty following childbirth, it is not usually the root cause.  In other words most patients have enlarged labia since puberty and thus pregnancy is not the cause of the enlarged labia.  Most of my patients that undergo Labiaplasty are between 20- 35 yo and have never even carried a full term pregnancy....RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty after Childbirth

+1

Patients commonly present for labia minora  reduction procedures before AND  after pregnancies.

The two commonly performed  labia minora reduction procedures are the “trim technique” and the “wedge technique".  In my opinion,  having performed both of these procedures,  neither one is superior. Both lead to very  aesthetic pleasing and functional results.

Careful surgical technique with attention to the following principles lead to the best results...

1. Avoid over-resection

2. Avoid encroachment upon the clitoris, urethra, or vaginal opening

3. Achieve as much symmetry as possible