How Common is It for Your Surgeon to Need to Do a Touch-up Procedure and Can They Be Done with a Closed Approach?

My ps may need to trim or remove an underlay graft made out of septal cartilage.It's caused my right tip cartilage to push against my skin & it looks odd.There is a small pink spot next to it.*I have thin skin.He did not choose to use fascia either. I am worried as I do not want my dr. to make matters worse. Insight would be most helpful.He has 40 years experience. A few weeks ago he said since there was still swelling=healing that it's appearance could soften on it's own.I'm 10 1/2 mos.

+1

I revise about 5 out of every 100 rhinoplasties.  A nose can look perfect on the table but not heal in the way anticipated.  I will say that I try to avoid cartilage grafts for this reason.  Removing the graft is a trivial procedure.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

You could probably do a google literature search for rate of Revision Rhinoplasty to find more data but in the most experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons hands, I'd guess there's about a 10% revision rate.  Most often this is a result of the body and nose healing in ways that do not promote the best aesthetic result.