How Common is It for a Keloid to Form After a Mid-chest Surgery?

I am planning to get surgery on my chest (for a chest structure issue) which will involve a horizontal 4 inch incision under my breastbone (at the mid chest area). I am Middle-Eastern. How common is it for a keloid to form in this area and what can I do to prevent it?

How to Prevent a Keloid?

+1

Hi Keloid.  Regarding the likelihood, it's more likely if you have already had a keloid scar or someone in your family does as this is a genetic issue.  

Regarding prevention, it may be possible to proactively get steroid injections if it looks like a keloid is forming and this would be something to discuss with your surgeon.  Good luck.