Is is Common for 18 Year Olds to Get Breast Reduction Surgery?

I'm interested in having breast reduction surgery. I'm 5'4, about 130 lbs, 18 years old, and wear a size 32DD. I have never been pregnant and do not nurse. No matter how thin I am, my breasts do not seem to shrink and I find it very painful to exercise. I am an avid runner and like to stay in shape. I am very unhappy with my breasts because they seem to, well.. aim down. My nipples are very large and my skin is stretched. I want to be an A, I like the look simplicity. Am I a common patient?

Teenagers and Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

The benefits of breast reduction surgery include improved self-esteem, increased ease of playing sports and exercise, reduction in the pain associated with heavy breasts (back, shoulder, and neck discomfort), more comfort with wearing different clothing styles, and generally an improved quality of life.  Teenagers as well as women much older in their 70's can benefit equally from this surgery.  I have performed a breast reduction on many young women as young as 16, who felt that the heavy weight and size of their breasts was a real hindrance to their daily life.  You must be emotionally and psychologically mature to understand the long-lasting effect of this surgery..  Also, if there hasn't been any significant change in your breasts for 1-2 years, then it is more likely that the surgical result will be more permanent.  Young women who are runners, competitive athletes, or committed ballet students have been especially pleased with the results.

Web reference: http://www.pbplasticsurgery.com

Breast reduction

+1

Breast reductions are very beneficial in all age groups.  Our patients range from 16-76 years old and are some of our happiest patients.  Many patients feel the relief from the back and shoulders as soon as waking from surgery.  I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and see if you are a good candidate.  I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Web reference: https://www.richmondplasticsurgery.com

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

It is normal

+1

It is normal in our practice to perform breast reduction on patient's 16 and older if you have the symptoms and are unhappy with their look.   You should be examined by an experienced plastic surgeon who can help you make the decision  to go through with surgery or not.

Breast reduction for 18 year olds

+1

I can't say that it is common for 18 year olds to have breast reductions but then it's not common for all women at any age. You sound like you would be a very good candidate for the surgery. You need to see a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (or two or more until you find one you are comfortable with) to discuss the procedure with its pros and cons, risks and benefits. You should be aware that there will be scarring and you will probably not be able to breast feed. You may want to involve your parents in the consultation and decision if you are comfortable with them. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

At your age you are able to do a breast reduction to make you happy. In our practice we have had patients are as young as 16 with their parents supporting them to get the procedure. You are a typical patient, you need to do some research make sure your surgeon is a Board Certified PS.

Breast reduction

+1
In terms of height, weight and bra size, you are a classic breast reduction patient. However, an A cup will not be in proportion with your size and a B would probably be more appropriate. All this as well as the reduction of the nipples, risks and aims of the surgery should be discussed at a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction can be performed in older teen

+1

There are times when breast reduction surgery is appropriate at your age.  By law, you are old enough to make your own healthcare decisions and have likely completed puberty.  When large breasts cause pain, psychological discomfort or interfere in daily activity (including exercise), sometimes a breast reduction can give significant relief.  Some things that warrant serious consideration are scarring, future pregnancy and future breastfeeding.  Breast reduction surgery does create scars on the breasts.  For many women this is a small price to pay for the relief associated with the surgery, but it definitely needs careful consideration.  I definitely recommend looking at before and after photos.  You should also consider the potential effect of pregnancy on your new, perky breasts.  The hormones associated with pregnancy often lead to temporary enlargement of the breast tissue and many women complain about sagging breasts after the pregnancy is over.  Some women also find they are unable to breast feed after having breast reduction surgery.  Having said that, it is rare for me to meet a woman who regrets having a breast reduction.  After doing internet research, please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.  Together, you can determine if you are a good candidate for a breast reduction.

Web reference: http://www.advancedplasticsurgerysolutions.com/services/breast/breast-reduction/

Breast Reduction for 18 Year Old?

+1

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform, regardless of the patient's age.

It will be important for you to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.   
Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right  patient (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm