Is It Common to Have Fluid Leaking from the Belly Button and Swelling After 8 Months from Tummy Tuck?

I have a nasty leakage from the belly button that is causing a bad rash inside and out. Also a lot of swelling like I'm 8 months pregnant. My doctor tells me to go to my family doctor to get a culture. He has looked at this and put it off that nothing and everything looks good. A doctor in the same office said it didn't look right. Don't know what could be going wrong. My family doctor will not do a culture because this did not happen until after the tummy tuck.

Fluid Leaking from the Belly Button and Swelling After 8 Months

+2

No, this is not common. Nor is the appearance of looking like you are pregnant.  You need to be seen for evaluation by your surgeon. All the best. 

Draining After Tummy Tuck

+1

It is not common to fluid leaking from the belly button 8 months after surgery.  Your PS should try to identify the cause and treat it.  This is not a problem for your Family MD to solve.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Draining 8 months after an abdominoplasty

+1

It sounds like you have several problems and it is not common to be draining 8 months after the an abdominoplasty nor should you look 8 months pregnant.  It is possible that you have a seroma or a suture infection.  The rash is from the area constantly being wet.  See your surgeon for answers.  

Draining belly button after tummy tuck

+1

8 months is plenty of time for minor wound problems to resolve.  If your drainage is thick and your abdomen is swelling I would suspect a deeper infection possibly a stitch abscess deep in the muscle.  You should have your surgeon evaluate this further.

Raymond A. Faires, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Fluid drainage from the umbilicus eight months after abdominoplasty need investigation.

+1

The navel should heal long ago. The drainage may be a hygiene issue rather than a wound issue but should be brought to the attention of your plastic surgeon.