What Are Common Complications That Result from Rhinoplasty on an Asian Nose?

Will any of these complications restrict my ability to breathe normally, and could such damage be easily repaired? How often due quality of life type problems occur?

Common problems associated with Asian rhinoplasty

+1

The two main difficulties in Asian rhinoplasty is getting a bridge that sits on the center rather than off to the side. It can be difficult to keep it centered, with silicone being the most difficult, in my experience. Use of synthetic materials is also associated with long term resorption of the underlying bone or thinning out of the skin. Late infection or rejection (extrusion) remain an on-going concern. For these reasons, using your own tissues to build up your bridge is much preferred. Although some surgeons may prefer rib cartilage, I have always been able to build up the bridge using ear cartilage alone if it has not already been used.

The other problems unique to Asian rhinoplasty are inadequate strengthening of the tip area, leading to a droopy appearing tip. This is due to the inherent weakness of the tip cartilages. Significant reinforcement of grafting material is required to maintain adequate strength in the tip area.

Finally, asymmetry in the nostrils can occur if you undergo nostril narrowing. This problem can sometimes be caused from a deviated septum or a slight deviation created during the process of tip reinforcement. When asymmetric nostrils are seen postoperative, the cause should be investigated - it's not always an asymmetric excision which caused the problem.

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty, including Asian Rhinoplasty, has to be performed by a surgeon with thorough understanding of the underlying nasal anatomy.  Any disruption of the underlying anatomy could potentially cause difficulty breathing afterwards.  If this were to occur, the ability to reverse the breathing difficulty would depend on the underlying cause.  Facial plastic surgeons have had extensive training in head and neck anatomy in addition to the aesthetics of the external nose.

Kimberly Lee, MD