How Common is Capsular Contracture in Cheek Implants? Can It Happen Years Later After Surgery?

+2

This can be relatively common with breast implants. However, cheek implants are solid, have a low profile and sit right on the cheek bone and have a much lower risk of this happening. Anything is possible, but I have never encountered this specific problem with cheek or chin or temple implants. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture of Cheek Implants

+2

There is always a capsule around every cheek implant. In over 35 years I've never seen contracture of the capsule because I always use solid silicone implants which mimic the firmness of the underlying bone that I want to augment. Softer implants such as gel could become distorted. 

+1

I have performed many cheek augmentations with cheek implants over the past 25 years and although a thin capsule forms most likely around most, if not all, implants this is not similar to the hard breast implant capsulation and as such presents no issue.