Is it common to do a Breast Lift first then wait 3 months to do Breast Augmentation?

I'm 35 yrs old and have had 3 children. It was an obvious I needed a breast lift. Along with that I wanted a augmentation but was told to do the lift first, then wait 3 months to do the augmentation because they would not be as high if I did it all at once. Is that a common procedure?

Is it common to do a breast lift first then wait 3 months to do the breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These two procedures can safely and effectively be performed in one setting, given you are healthy and without medical comorbidities to prevent such. Staging the procedures to have them done at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time. Cost of these procedures will vary amongst plastic surgeons in addition to geographic location.

However, more important than the financial aspect, your plastic surgeon will have to determine for you if the viability of the breast as well as nipple-areolar complex may be placed at jeopardy if done at the same time. If for this reason, it would be wise to stage these procedures. Without an examination, it is difficult to tell you what to recommend.

Certainly it is you decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery who will discuss and examine you, while assisting you to decide which procedure will be the best option for you. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are - sometimes multiple consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons is helpful for you to decide. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Breast lift and breast augmentation together

+1
I routinely perform breast lift and augmentation at the same time with excellent results.  An experienced plastic surgeon can achieve outstanding results with one procedure and save you the cost and risk of an additional procedure.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
Thank you for your question .

You can have both procedures at the same time . No reason why you will have to go twice under anesthesia if not needed. 
Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote. Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Although it may not be common, it is the safest way.

+1
Because making incisions for a breast lift and putting implants underneath the breast lift can sometimes interfere at the same time with the blood supply of the nipple, in some cases, it may be recommended the patient would perform one operation first, and wait for the skin to heal before the other operation is done.  having said that, most of the time that the plastic surgeons perform breast augmentation breast lift, the do it at the same time.  This is not a decision he can be made without seeing the patient, and therefore the recommendations are always very individualized.  Studies have shown at that in most cases, performing a breast augmentation at the same time as a breast lift it may have slightly higher complications, but most of these complications are minor operation complications such as a superficial healing issues and it eventually do not cause any major alarm or harm to the patient.  Of course the down side of having 2 operations 3 months apart, is that the patient has to spend time recovering twice from an operation, and the costs are significantly higher.  Therefore it is not possible to give a clear answer to this question, and most patients and surgeons have to discuss this individually to determine what is the best course of action for them given the pros and cons.

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon

+1
   I perform the breast lift and augmentation at the same time, because my revision rate is low and the surgeries can be performed safely at the same time.

Is it common to do a breast lift and then wait 3 months to do a breast augmentation?

+1
Hi. This is the best way to achieve a good reliable result from a breast lift and augmentation. However, it does involve 2 surgeries, with more time off work and cost. Many people have this combination of surgeries together, but the result is less predictable, and some people end up needing a revisional procedure to adjust things after the combined operation. You should discuss the pros and cons with your surgeon, but if you can afford it then 2 operations 3months apart is best. All the best with your decision. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Staged mastopexy augmentation

+1
That's an excellent question.  It is actually my preference to do the breast lift first for someone with a great degree of ptosis.  This sets things up very nicely for a more aesthetically pleasing augmentation.  If you do the augmentation first in someone with a great deal of sagging, this may give the appearance of a "rock in a sock."  After the skin envelop is tightened then in about 3 months an augmentation can be done.  Some patients have had the unfortunate experience of having very large implants placed to fill in the sagging skin.  This usually has unfavorable long term results.

Quintessa Miller MD FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Quintessa Miller, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift followed in 3 months by a augmentation is an acceptable practice

+1
Thank you for your question.  A breast lift followed in 3 months by breast augmentation has been a standard procedure for many years.  Although in the past few years the operations can be done at the same time there are advantages to allowing the breast to adjust to its new lifted shape before placing the implant.  In addition if any revision of the left is required it can be done at the second procedure.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast lift and augmentation - One step or two step?

+1
This raises a common topic of discussion amongst surgeons - whether to do the lift and augmentation as a single procedure, or as two separate procedures. Both approaches are equally valid and safe in experienced hands. The decision should be based on the patient's individual anatomy and circumstances, and the surgeon's experience and treatment philosophy. Cost-effectiveness of doing it in one does come into it, but should not be the paramount consideration. 

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Breat lift and breast augmentation.

+1
I certainly agree that there is a lot of merit to doing the lift and augmentation about 3 months or more apart.  Frequently patients hope to combine the procedure to minimize some costs and to recover from only one procedure rather than two. However, the conservative approach is to do them separately.  I agree with the other doctors recommendations as well. Your surgeon will recommend what is best in his or her experience. 

John M. Weeter, MD