Is It Common to Get Bad (Irregular, Lumps) Lipo Results?

Hello I’m 20 years old, female and I’ve lost about 40 lbs. in 3 years. I’m almost at my target weight and there are still some areas that have excess fat. I will have liposuction on my stomach and thighs. My plastic surgeon is well known for being professional and having good results. But I’m also worried because I’ve seen some pretty bad reviews about liposuctions gone wrong, irregular surfaces, lumps etc. Why does that happen, is it by chance or something sets it off? How common is that?

Lumpiness after liposuction

+1

An excellent result from liposuction is a result of excellent patient selection, excellent timing, and excellent surgical technique. Often significant weight loss produces loose skin and non-localized, heterogeneous fat deposit. Liposuction will intrinsically cause irregularity. That is, if you have a smooth surface, liposuction will generally make that surface less smooth. The best candidates have very localized fat deposit of uniform density with near normal skin.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Liposuction and results

+1

Liposuction results vary due to the equipment used, the technique, the surgeon, to name a few.  Even with great technique some patients may develop lumpiness.

Liposuction results

+1

The bad results are because of poor patient selection and /or poor technique. Doing liposuction on someone who has a high chance of irregularities in the skin without fully explaining that distinct possibility is due to lack of experience in dealing with liposuction patients. The technique to obtain the best results possible given the circumstances, is also a result of experience. As a plastic surgeon you need to explain to patients what type of result they can expect and then be able to deliver those results or else you will not be in business very long.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon