Is It Common to Take a 2-step Approach to Abdominoplasty?

Step 1 being lipo of abdomen, upper hips and flanks-tummy tuck 5-6 months later.

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction, one or two stage procedure?

+3

Hi,

Usually Tummy tucks can be done in one stage with Liposuction.

In rare cases where there is need for significant liposuction, it can be done additionally in a second stage.

If it is recommended to have two stage procedure, I usually perform a tummy tuck is done followed by additional liposuction few months later. This typically gives the best final contour.

My recommendation would is to have close to the ideal body weight range. This assures the best result with the initial surgery.

Hope this was helpful.

Liposuction followed by Tummy Tuck or Vice versa

+1

Surgeons may vary in their appraoches to tummy tuck. Some will perform the tummy tuck first and the liposuction second while others will take your surgeon's approach,  The latter will allow a touch up liposuction at the second procedure.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck

It is not common to do abdominoplasty in two stages

+1

Abdominoplasty is rarely done in two stages.  Usually, plastic surgeons try to do it in one stage but better and safer results can be obtained by staging the procedures in some patients.  Some people have problems that can't be solved with a single procedure.  Your plastic surgeon is probably telling what he or she thinks is the safest and most effective treatment plan.  Get more opinions if you are unsure.  It is not common to do staged procedures but sometimes it is best.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction can be done together with "no undermining" tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

With the right technique, the abdomen can be treated all in one stage.  The trick is to preserve the blood supply to the skin by minimally separating the skin from the muscles during the tummy tuck.

Staged abdominoplasty

+1

In select situations where the soft tissues are quite thick and thinning with liposuction would improve the results and reduce the risks of an abdominoplasty, it might be prudent to perform the abdominoplasty in a stage manner. Each situation and each surgeon will provide a different approach.

Do lipo and abdominoplasty in one session

+1
In most cases it makes sense to do both procedures in one session. In the past there have been questions about whether it is safe but if the total time for the procedures is not too long it should not be a problem. The advantages of comining are obvious - less cost, one recovery time.

Two steps for tummy tuck

+1

If you need a lot of liposuction on the abdomen in the same location that the tummy tuck is done you will need to do it in two steps.  It is not safe to pull the skin tight after you have liposuctioned the same area.  Most women will need liposuction on the hip and flank area and this can be done at the same time as the tummy tuck.  In order to get a real sculptured look after a tummy tuck it is nice to do some liposuction on the abdomen after a tummy tuck.  These are just some possibilities and you will need to discuss the details of your situation with your surgeon.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

2-step approach to abdominoplasty

+1

It is not very common but it is acceptable. But I would do the Tummy Tuck first with 1 liter of lipo. Than after healing for 2 months see if you really need additional liposuction. This is a much more logical way to approach the abdominal contour. From MIAMI Dr. B

2-Step Approach to Tummy Tuck

+1

I do sometimes approach abdomens that contain a lot of fat above the belly button with 2 separate procedures.  I tend, however, to perform the tummy tuck first, followed by lipo.  The reason that I use this approach is that the normal blood supply to the abdomen is interrupted with a TT amd the collateral circulation comes from the flanks and upper abdomen.  To me it is safer to perform the procedures separated by a few months in order to be more aggressive with the liposuction.