Breast Augmentation at Age 60

I'm Coming Up on 60, I'm Pretty Thin and Somewhat Fit. Am I Nuts to Think About Augment?

Breast Augmentation at Age 60

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

There is no medical contra indication to undergo a breast augmentation at the age 60.

So long as you are well informed on the risks, benefits, alternative solutions to augmentation mammoplasty with implants, and have reasonable expectations, the next step is to attain medical clearance to maximize safety.

I recommend you consult with several Board Certified Plastic Surgeons to gain a better perspective on the surgical procedure.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Sixty is the new 40. Fine to do breasts.

+2

One of the best things you can do to continue to look young into your sixty is doing things other than facelifts.  Breasts that are full are a sign of the youthful fullness that you want.  Injecting hands with filler are also a little known secret in staying young.

Ritu Chopra, MD

You are not Nuts!

+2

As long as the procedure is done in a safe environment and a trained surgeon (such as a board certified plastic surgeon) preforms the procedure there is no reason to prevent any healthy patient in her sixties from having a breast augmentation procedure.

The patient should be having the surgery done for reasons that are personal and should not be influenced by outside circumstances such as life changing events as: divorce, change of job, spouse desire  etc.

The type of augmentation and the desired size and shape should be dictated by the patients anatomy and tissue characteristics. Those are determined prior to surgery and a plan is made according to those details by the surgeon and presented to the patient.

The post operative period the patient should be followed closely and follow the post operative instructions carefully.

As long as the proper decision making is made and sound surgical technique and safe environment are used the procedure could result in youthful rejuvenated breasts and a happy patient.

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate age for breast augmentation-is 60 too old

+2

Americans are living longer and healthier. Therefore, age by itself is not a contraindication for breast augmentation, but instead a patients general health and mental state. there are other things to consider including breast sagging and thickness of breast/ chest skin in deciding the type of breast surgery.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

No, you are not nuts.

+2

60 is the new 40, as they say.  My oldest breast augmentation has been 64, and was she ever happy she made that decision.  If you are in good health and your expectations are reasonable, go for it.  The implants we have are the best ever made.  The techniques are very good so that the recovery is fast.  And, summer is approaching.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Breast augmentation at age 60?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Augmentation For 60 Year Old

+1
If you are healthy both physically and psychologically then you are certainly not too old for breast augmentation. I know of some patients who are older than you and have had the surgery performed. It is important to follow your surgeon's pre and post surgical care instructions. Best of luck! 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Not at all...

+1

Being 60 is not a reason to avoid breast augmentation.  Your general health, desired outcome, and understanding of risks should be the factors that dictate your decisions.

Chen Lee, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

No age limits!

+1

No, you are not nuts, I have performed this surgery on women your age and older!  Find a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate for surgery.  Good luck!

George John Alexander, MD, FACS