Treatment for Scars Left by Comedone Extraction?

When I was 16, I went to a doctor who said he would treat my acne by doing comedone extraction using a tool. I went there for this treatment 4 times and my face had become totally red and marked. I was even afraid to look at myself in the mirror. After the 4th time, I changed doctor and did therapy with minaxen pills The redness left, but that stupid comedone extraction treatment left multiple small scars closely packed in my cheeks and forehead. Now I am 21, and am wondering what to do with this? Can you help me?

Scars following acne treatment

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a physician. Scars can come in all sizes, shapes, types. Some respond to lasers, while others benefit from chemical peels, or dermabrasion, and some will see improvement with fillers or autologous fat. Many may be best treated with scar revision using surgical techniques.

This can only be determined after examination.

Collagen or Fraxel

+1

I am a bit surprised that comedone extractions could cause this. I have never heard of that happening.

You might wait until Evolence Breeze is approved since collagen as a filler for scars is superior. I would have recommended Cosmoderm, but this filler lasts only half as long as its competitor Evolence.

For a more permanent fix, a fractionated laser such as Fraxel would be the best tradeoff of risk versus benefit. The pulsed CO2 laser or deep chemical peel is still the gold standard but fewer dermatologists and plastic surgeons are using this modality since it carries more complications and is more anxiety-laden.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist