How Come 2 Months After Laser Liposuction Does my Stomach Still Extend out Far Like It Used To?

Hi! I had laser lipo and my stomach still extends out a great deal. My stomach was small to begin with but I had a few problem areas. My stomach feels hard and lumpy which I know is normal but extends out all the time and I'm constantly sucking in because I'm embarrassed by it. I knew I would be swollen but most of it had gone down but and i just look like i have a belly. I thought i would be tighter and the days of sucking in were over. Can anybody tell me why this is?

Stomach Still Extends Out After Laser Liposuction

+2

If you have had a Laser Liposuction and your stomach still extends out, the problem may be associated with a stretched abdominal wall and displaced rectus abdominus muscles (six pack muscles).  If you are able to correct the bulge by sucking you tummy in, this may be the problem.

This is a very common problem in women who have had one or more pregnancies or who have had significant weight gain and weight loss.  Further liposuction will not resolve the stretched abdominal wall.  Abdominal muscle exercises may help to some extent, but to correct stretched connective tissue between the muscles you may want to consider an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) with abdominal wall plication (tightening). 

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Post Laser Lipo Results

+1

Thank you for your question. If you did not see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, then the predictability of your outcome is in question. You may have an abdominal distasis, a separation of your abdomen muscle, and there may be no fat, just muscle separation. A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can make this determination, and offer alternatives and choices on how to manage your problem. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or tumy tuck??

+1

this is an interesting question. I would be in a much better shape to answer this if I had your pics before and afters. however, after doing several liposuction procedures for so long, I must say that some patients arent good candidates for liposuction. that might be because of the weaker abdominal muscles or the fact that they have more fat around their organs than underneath their skin. if either of these is a problem I prefer not to do liposuction on those patients. Tummy tuck might be better and diet control for the latter condition is an optimum choice

Misbah Khan, MD

Liposuction versus Tummy Tuck

+1

Without before and after pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, it is likely that you needed a tummy tuck and not just liposuction.  Liposuction removes the external fat, but does not address the diastasis or roundness of the abdomen.  If you can push your belly in and out, then it is likely that you would benefit from muscle tightening.  If your belly is always out and you have already had liposuction, then weight loss may be your best answer.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD