Combining Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift with Implants, and Thigh Lift

I am a very healthy 27 year old mother of 3. Finally done having babies and am begining to plan my mommy makeover. I am currently a few weeks out from weaning my youngest and know that I need to wait a few months before i schedule my surgery. I will need a tummy tuck, breast lift with implants, and thinking about a thigh lift. I am 5'4" 134lbs. There is a small pocket of loose skin on each of my inner thighs that I just can't seem to tighten. Is it safe to combine these surgeries?

+2

The answer to your question is yes it is safe to combine these procedures at one time. Generally, surgical procedures of less than six hour duration have a very low complication rate and even longer procedures have only slightly increased risks. The key to this type of surgery is finding a board certified plastic surgeon with experience doing these types of combination procedures and let them guide you. You may want to hold off on the inner thigh lift at the same time and just do the liposuction to see if it adequately addresses your concerns without adding the additional scar.

Adding thigh lift to mommy makeover

+2

Typically a mommy makeover will involve tummy tuck, and breast augmentation and lift if needed, and some liposuction to the hip and thigh. The surgery will push right up to 'safe' limits of five hours for a well prepared surgeon and patient. Adding a thigh lift can be safe, but if the surgery time extends to six hours or more the risk increases as well. Also consider your surgeon's ability to perform and 'focus'. Runners don't run the last miles of the marathon at their best. Our vote would be no.

peterejohnsonmd

Safety with mommy make over procedures

+2

In plastic surgery  multiple procedures with one anesthesia are quite common.  Looking at the data it has become known that problems may occur when more than five to five and a half hours of anesthesia are exceeded.  Therefor, it is common to set that limit and if everything that you want done exceeds this number by a lot, then you break it up and do the entire package of procedures over time with two anesthias.  For me a mommy make over, i.e. breast rejuvenation and a tummy tuck, takes approximately five hours.  If an inner thigh lift is indicated then, in my practice it would be done at a separate setting.

Wishing you all the best,

Tal Raine MD  Elmhurst,,IL

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Mommy makeover is a great idea to lessen recovery time.

+2

Usually a longer surgery like this is OK as long as you are healthy as you say you are.  Combining tummy tuck and breast augmentation along with other surgeries has become extremely popular these days.  Combining the surgeries lessens your recovery time in the long run versus having the surgeries separate and saves on OR costs.  I recommend you schedule a consultation at least 6 months after you are completely finished nursing.

Combination plastic surgery

+2

Combining these surgeries for someone like you would be fine as long as the surgery doesn't go too long.  The duration of the surgery is critical.  Consult your board certified plastic surgeon and see what his recommendation is.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Plastic Surgery is like Baseball...

+2

Regarding: "Combining Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift with Implants, and Thigh Lift
I am a very healthy 27 year old mother of 3. Finally done having babies and am begining to plan my mommy makeover. I am currently a few weeks out from weaning my youngest and know that I need to wait a few months before i schedule my surgery. I will need a tummy tuck, breast lift with implants, and thinking about a thigh lift. I am 5'4" 134lbs. There is a small pocket of loose skin on each of my inner thighs that I just can't seem to tighten. Is it safe to combine these surgeries
?"

A Mommy Make Over is any combination of Tummy Tuck or trunk liposuction combine with a Breast Lift or Breast Augmentation and Lift. Although the Thigh lift could be done along with the Tummy Tuck and breast operations, I would advise you against it.

All operations over 5 hours are associated with a significant risk of blood clotting (DVT) and other complications. The Thigh Lift would add more time to the surgery and result in leg discomfort added to discomfort of the tummy and chest which would make it harder for you to move about after surgery needlessly prolonging your recovery as well as raising your risk of complication.

I would leave the Thigh Lift to be done in the future if you still feel you need it after completely recovering from your Tummy Tuck surgery.

Running the bases is always safer and yields better scores than going for the home runs.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Multiple procedures in one setting can be OK

+2

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for a formal evaluation. He/she will determine the how long it will take and whether you are a safe/good candidate for these combined procedures. Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover - tummy tuck and breast lift/breast implants

+2

You should have a stable weight for at least 6 months before undergoing body contouring surgery. The reason is that after losing weight or giving childbirth the skin shrinks back some and you want to give it time to do so. Also surgeons need a stable baseline in order to plan surgery and obtain reliable results.

The earliest abdominoplasties involved just freeing up the abdominal skin pulling it down and cutting off the excess. This was refined to the removal of an ellipse of lower abdominal skin in later years. The problem with that design was it removed most of the skin in the midline and little on the sides while creating most of the tension of skin closure in the midline where the blood supply to the skin was the least. By opening the outer angles of the skin incision those problems are resolved. Also the thigh skin is tightened and the buttock pulled upward. The only drawback is a longer skin incision which is well tolerated by patients who are good candidates for the procedure. The amount of thigh lifting especially inner thigh is not totally predictable but is usually significant. Since inner thigh lifts alone create problematic scars that can migrate down the thigh etc. this design of surgery is recommended first. Then some months later if desired an inner thigh lift can be performed but usually it is a smaller lift than would otherwise be required.

The timing for breast surgery is different. If all you are doing is removing skin in a breast lift the same body contouring parameters described above apply but the abdominal work should be done first to avoid pulling the breasts downward (that can happen if you do the breasts first even if you do them in the same operation). If you are placing breast implants I recommend you wait at least a year after you stop breast feeding/producing milk. The milk manufacturing process takes a while to completely turn off. If you do breast surgery too early you can stimulate the production of more milk that can collect around breast implants etc.

Aaron Stone, MD

Mommy makeover

+2

The combination of Tummy Tuck, Breast lift and IMplants and a small medial thigh lift in a petit person like you is possible.

Start looking for A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY) find some one with experience , expertise and compassion to give you the care and the best results..

Combining tummy tuck, breast lift with implants, and thigh lift?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that s/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations.  These are procedures that take several hours each to perform, and consideration for staging into 2 settings may be wise. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD