Combining a Tummy Tuck with a Breast Augmentation. Will Recovery Be Far Worse? Is It Safe?

I'm planning to combine my tummy tuck with a breast augmentation; will recovery be far worse vs. only a tummy tuck? is this combination safe?

Tummy tuck combined with breast implants

+2

This is a safe thing to do, depending on your health status.  This is a classic "Mommy Makeover" procedure combination.  It is something that we do on a regular basis.

The recovery time may be a bit longer with two procedures vs. just the one.

Again, always best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.  They will help determine if you are a candidate and help assess risks.  together you can make a plan to achieve your goals.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com

Combining procedures may result in a more difficult recovery

+2

When you combine 2 or more cosmetic procedures, your recovery will most likely be a little more difficult.  However, this also means only one operation and anesthesia recovery.  Tummy tucks are frequently combined with breast augmentations, and the recovery takes about 1-2 weeks.  So, you will most likely be okay, but make sure you have some help around the house after your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense

+1

Tummy Tuck and  Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.

I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications.

Combining breast augmentation with abdominoplasty or tummy tuck works for many

+1

These two procedures: breast augmentation and tummy tuck are frequently combined at one surgery.  The 2 advantages to this is that you only recover 1x!  You are going to be primarily limited by the tummy tuck for the 1st 1-3 days where you will need help and not want to do much. By the time you are feeling better from the tummy tuck, your breast are well on the way to recovery and feeling pretty good.  Most patient's with either surgery and getting up and about on their own by day 3-5 and weaning off of pain medications between days 7 & 10, (although some patient's use nothing but high dose ibuprophen/ Advil post surgery, most patient require a narcotic as well for the 1st week).  The other advantage is that the overall time of the two is less than the time of each procedure done separately, however, the increased length in procedure at one time does increase risk in general.  Therefore, when combining procedures, I typically recommend doing this in the hospital where the patient has the option to stay the night if they feel too tired to go home and they can receive IV pain medications, maintain compression on the legs to reduce the risk for blood clots developing; and stay well rested.  Alternatively, if done in a surgicenter, I highly recommend a private nurse to be at home with the patient to monitor for any of the risks associated with longer surgeries and to help the patient and allow for intravenous fluids to be continued until the patient feels good enough to be up, eat and walk about.  The other advantage to having the procedures done together is that sometimes the 2nd procedure is slightly less than when done separately. 

Good luck!!

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Combining Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck?

+1

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation operations are commonly performed together.  Patient selection is of paramount importance- careful attention is paid to medical history, safety issues and the potential risks/complications associated with combining the procedures.

When these two procedures are performed together most of the discomfort and recovery issues usually surround the tummy tuck procedure.  In my experience the recovery is not “far worse” with a combination procedure as opposed to with tummy tuck  surgery alone.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Breast Implant surgery and Tummy Tucks-

+1

Assuming you are in relatively good health, combining these two procedures are relatively safe. Of course, the added risk of a longer general anesthesia should be taken into consideration. Hope you have a safe recovery.

J. Vicente Poblete, MD, FACS

Avon Lake, OH

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

No increased recovery or risk when combining tt with bam

+1

Interesting question.   I have done studies on this and have written 3 papers looking at this.   Many surgeons and patients think that combining a breast augmentation ( bam) with a  tummy tuck will increase risk and recovery. 

This is NOT TRUE!   The breast augmentation adds between 30 and 60 minutes and no increased recovery time.   The TT sets the pace for the recovery.  By combining the procedures you reduce cost, reduce anesthesia, reduce recovery time, reduce time off of work and actually reduce the risk. Be sure that your surgeon is experienced with combined procedures, is Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of ASAPS.  

Safety of Mommy Makeover

+1

Doing multiple procedures always increases risk to some degree.  If you are otherwise healthy, there are economic and practical (single downtime) reasons to have the procedures performed together.  With all surgeries, the benefits must be weighed against the risks.

Combining a Tummy Tuck with a Breast Augmentation (Mommy Make-Over)

+1

Regarding: "Combining a Tummy Tuck with a Breast Augmentation. Will Recovery Be Far Worse? Is It Safe?
I'm planning to combine my tummy tuck with a breast augmentation; will recovery be far worse vs. only a tummy tuck? is this combination safe
?"

We frequently perform Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) with either a Breast Augmentation or a Breast Lift / Augmentation. This combination is otherwise known as a Mommy Make-Over. As long as the patient is healthy and the operation does not take a long time to perform it relatively safe. Discuss the potential complications of the operations with your surgeon to be fully informed and be aware that this combination is done very frequently across the USA.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

MOMMY MAKEOVER VIDEO

+1

There are risks to any surgical procedure and recovery will depend on the extent of the individual procedures which can vary tremendously. For example, under or over the muscle implants? diastasis repair? Full or mini tummy tuck? Extent of Liposuction? General overall health?