Combining Blepharoplasty with Laser Surgery for Eyes?

I am considering having surgery on my upper and lower eyelids. I have received various opinions in regards to laser or traditional surgery.

Some people have suggested not to have the top eye lid fat removed with a laser as it can be dangerous. Others tell me that the laser will not be as effective on the lower lids as traditional surgery.

So I was thinking of having the traditional surgery on the upper lids and laser on the bottom. Opinions? Thanks

Eyelid Surgery

+1

Dear Jan in Fresno, the technique for surgery will be determined by your surgeon and the goals that you wish to acheive. The upper eyelids typically need some fat removed, and some skin excised. The lower eyelids need attention to the volume loss in the cheek/malar area and softening of the lid/cheeek junction, plus the tightening of the lower eyelid tendon, muscle and redraping of the skin by an external approach and removal of puffiing fat by a transconjunctival approach (much more complicated than the upper lid)

Make sure you have an eye check up before surgery and stop all medications that can lead to extra bleeding and bruising.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Lasers and chemical peels can provide very similar results

+1

I am not certain whether your doctor is going to make the transconjunctival incision (inside the eyelid) with the laser or plans on resurfacing the lower eyelid with the laser? Incisions can be made with many different modalities that limit bleeding. However using a laser may have a slightly higher risk of problems than using othert cutting devices. Additionally I prefer 88% phenol peels under the eye since it is less expensive and more predictable.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

What laser?

+1

Different lasers can be used in different ways with different effect. What are you referring to: the cutting aspects of laser, the fat emulsification of laser, the skin peeling ability? The only use of laser that is advantageous in cosmetic blepharoplasty to the degree of have few substitutes in surgery is in its peeling effect (unless you are comparing it with other non-surgical peeling agents. like TCA, phenol or glycolic acid).It is very common to use the laser for a peel to smooth the wrinkle, especially of the lower lid, and tighten the skin. Using a laser for the incision or for removing fat is six of one, half a dozen of the other. Some surgeon use lasers, some do not. In the end, it is not that different.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD