Can a You a Have Combined Rhinoplasty/septoplasty/tonsillectomy?

Due to breathing problems, and a past history of strep/ tonsillitis, I am told it would be wise to get my tonsils removed and deviated septum fixed. Can this be combined in one surgery to lower costs/ to minimize the amount of time I will have to take off of work? Where would be the best place to look for surgeons who would be able to perform such a surgery? Thank you for taking your time to answer!

Can I have a combined Tonsillectomy, Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty?

+1

Yes, But IMHO it would be a tough recovery with swelling and discomfort in your throat and your nose packed after the Septoplasty portion of the Rhinoplasty.  If you seek all of this done at once, the only specialist that is trained to do all of these procedures are ENT surgeons or Facial Plastic Surgeons who are ENT surgeons that have additional training in facial plastic surgery and board certified by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Suregry.  Hope this helps.

Both airways at the same time..........not good

+1

I definitely don't think it is a good idea to operate on both airways (nasal and oral) at the same time.  I'd rather be safe and stage the procedures.  Good luck. 

Jenifer L. Henderson, MD
Silverdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can septorhinoplasty and tonsillectomy be performed together

+1

Tonsillectomy and septorhinoplasty can safely be performed together.  You would be best served by a doctor who is board certified in plastic surgery (general or facial) and otolaryngology.  This will minimize down time as opposed to have the procedures done at different times.  This should not increase the risk of either procedure.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Combined Procedures

+1

An otolaryngologist (ear , nose, and throat doctor) is the first place to look.  While some otolaryngologists do quite a bit of rhinoplasty, please realize that this is a very challenging aesthetic surgery so you need to make sure that you are choosing the best surgeon for your procedure not just to save money.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tonsillectomy

+1

I would advise you not to go that route. You are potentially compromising both airways. Any post tonsillectomy issues would be hsrder to treat. Also the pos surgical pain issues would be worse.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplasty and tonsillectomy can be combined for healthy patients

+1

Rhinoplasty and tonsillectomy can be combined for healthy patients. Factors such as moderate to severe sleep apnea, advanced age or other medical conditions can raise the risk of airway obstruction following surgery. In certain cases, you might be asked to stay in the hospital for the first night following surgery. However, it is not unusal to combine these two procedures.

Sincerely,

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would not recommend

+1

You will get swelling from the rhinoplasty and it make your breathing hard from the nose. Tonsillectomy will cause swelling and difficult to breath through your mouth,not a good combination.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Yes tonsillectomy and rhinoplasty can be done at the same time

+1

This is not  unusual to have this done.  I will caution you that your recovery will be more difficult.  Tonsillectomy will increase your risks of postoperative complications (mainly bleeding and pain).  Discuss this with your surgeon to get their thoughts.  I would recommend a Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon.  Good luck.

Dr. Pippin 

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon