Can I Combine a Tummy Tuck with Uterine Myomectomy?

I've just been referred to a surgeon for a myomectomy and I'm trying to anticipate how to best plan for my upcoming procedure since I also want to have a tummy tuck. I've been working aggressively at weight loss and have shed 32 pounds in the past 6 months; I still need to lose 48 pounds to get to my goal weight. (1) Can I combine the tummy tuck with the myomectomy? (2) What are the disadvantages to having the procedures separately?

Myomectomy and tummy tuck

+1

In general, it is good to be close to you goal weight before undergoing tummy tuck.

Also, yes, tummy tuck and uterine myomectomy can be performed together but you will have a slightly increased risk of developing clots in your legs after surgery. If you proceed, make sure you discuss this with your surgeon(s) and take the appropriate steps to decrease this chance.

Best of Luck!

Uterine myomectomy with Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes, a tummy tuck may be combined with a uterine myomectomy if both the plastic surgeon and the gynecogist agree.  However, the procedure carries slighlty greater risk than a tummy tuck alone.  These risks include a higher incidence of bleeding and DVT.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Myomectomy?

+1

Yes the two procedures can be combined assuming you have cooperative plastic surgeon and OB/GYN physicians involved.

The advantages of combining the procedure involve a single procedure,  a single recovery and potential cost savings.  The disadvantages include a high risk of clotting ( deep venous thrombosis)  and/or infection.

+1

Best to ask the chosen surgeons, GYN + PS, to see if they are OK with this combination of surgeries. I have no issue but that is me. There is a slightly higher risk of complications but you will be fully informed concerning these risks. 

Combining GYN Procedures and Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear SpringKid,  Thanks for your question.  First, it would be best if you were closer to your target weight before you proceed with a tummy tuck.  This will enhance your result and also will increase your safety;  the greater your weight, the increased risk for complications including infections, blood clots, and breathing issues.  

In regards to your desire to combine the myomectomy procedure with an abdominoplasty, this often can be done if both the GYN and the plastic surgeon feel the patient is an appropriate candidate.  There can be a slightly higher risk for forming blood clots but  with proper DVT prevention including sequential compression hose and anti-coagulation, these risks can be minimized.  

One last thing, the most important concern is the safety of the patient.  In my practice, I always remind the patient that if at any time the GYN feels uncomfortable with proceeding onto the cosmetic procedure, we cancel the elective procedure and come back another day.  

Please discuss your concerns with both your doctors and especially discuss how they plan to manage the risks of blood clots.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Combining Abdominoplasty with Uterine Surgery

+1

While these procedures can be combined, there is an increased risk of complications.  In addition, I would recommend delaying your abdominoplasty until you have achieved your optimal weight.

Donald Griffin, MD

IMO, Achieving the Best Outcome Would Require Separating Your Procedures

+1

Hi there-

Another way to say this would be to ask you the following question:

If your procedures were combined, but you either experienced a complication after surgery, or had a smooth recovery but just didn't look as good as you might have, would you consider the decision to combine the procedures to have been wise?

My personal opinion is that because your tummy tuck is obviously an elective procedure for which you are paying out of your own pocket (and as such, you are almost certainly hoping for the very best outcome possible), it doesn't make any sense to make any decisions that compromise either the safety or the best possible outcome of the procedure.

There is little doubt at this point that combining significant gynecologic procedures with abdominoplasty increases the risk of complications- but doing so (IMO) also almost certainly compromises your plastic surgeon's ability to provide the best outcome possible as well.

Can it be done? In most cases the answer is yes.

Is it in the patient's best interests? That answer would need a lot of qualification...

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Answer to RealSelf.com question regarding combining tummy tuck with gynecologic procedures

+1

There are two separate issues that need to be address with your question: 1. The safety of combined procedures and 2. The importance of being near your goal weight at the time of your tummy tuck.  While uterine myomectomy and tummy tuck are procedures that technically can be combined, it is often better to do these two procedures at different times.  Combining gynecologic surgery and abdominoplasty has been shown to increase some peri-operative risks, including blood clots.  While it may be more convenient and less expensive for you to combine these procedures, it is not necessarily safer.  Consult with both your gynecologist and plastic surgeon (and maybe your internist) to obtain information specific to you.

Most contouring procedures (tummy tuck, liposuction, other lifts and breast surgery) are usually best done when a patient is close to his/her goal body weight.  Since you still have 48 lbs to lose, I believe that you would be best off delaying your contouring procedure until you are much closer to your goal weight (within 10-20 lbs).  You should also discuss this in greater detail with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures.

+1

You may be able to combine them. It depends on whether both surgeons can co-ordinate their time and schedules. The approach may be slightly different if the myomectomy is open or laproscopic. There is slightly increased risk that must be balanced with the economic and recovery benefits. There will be additional out of pocket expenses for the facility and anethesia providers in addtion to your surgeons fees. This should all be documented beforehand.

Robert H. Schnarrs, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and uterine surgery

+1

I no longer do an abdominoplasty at the same time as a major gynecological procedure.Tthere was some convincing evidence in the medical literature that this combination resulted in a greater likelihood of blood clots in the legs or pelvis that could be life threatening. If the procedure for the myomectomy is done with a laparoscope and does not extend the time of surgery excessively, perhaps it might be combined. Whatever you do get the opinion of a well trained and board certified plastic surgeon. The other part of this answer has to do with your weight. There is no question that the loss of 48 more pounds prior to a tummy tuck will result in a much more satisfying result. My vote would most definitely be for separate surgeries.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD