Can I Combine my Tummy Tuck Scar and C-Section Scar?

I had a full tt about six years ago and have always been unhappy with my scar. It seems to high and has a little puff to it. My belly button looks good but I really want to lower the scar to where my c section is. I had a baby three years ago and now have both scars. I would like to either have scar revision, or maybe a new tt. It seems I have enough skin again. Thank u...

Tummy tuck revision

+3

A plastic surgeon experienced in tummy tuck revisions can tell you in a simple consultation what to expect.

If there is enough looseness, the scar can be lowered, perhaps even significantly.

There may be more complicated alternative available, such as converting your tummy tuck to a modified full tummy tuck with a vertical incision, depending on the looseness of the upper abdominal skin.

It is unlikely it can be lowered to the C-section level, however, without such procedures..

Tummy Tuck Scar Revision

+2

It is theoretically possible to revise and lower an existing tummy tuck scar to the level of a c-section scar. I usually place my tummy tuck scars at or even below the c-section scar so that it would not show, even with a low cut bikini. If you have enough loose skin above your umbilicus so that the skin can be stretched down to lower your tummy tuck scar, then it is possible to lower your tummy tuck scar to the level of the c-section scar.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Low Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

The lower the scar the better. I measure 5-6cm from the vaginal opening as the incision point. Because the scar is lower, the skin can only be removed from the pubic area and lower abdomen up to the belly button in most cases.

In the photo above, a full tummy tuck revision could "combine" the two scars into a single low transverse scar, but there may also be a "new" small vertical scar on the lower abdomen. This scar would be from the current belly button.

I generally advise women to avoid abdominoplasty until they have completed any planned pregnancies.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar revision.

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

The picture is very helpful but examination will be critical in determining whether there is enough laxity of skin to allow for the upper scar to be lowered to the level of the lower scar.  Without examining you I am doubtful that this will be doable in a safe fashion.

Lowering an old abdominoplasty scar

+1

Revising and lowering an old tummy tuck scar depends on how much loose skin you currently have.  The longer its been since the first surgery, the more likely your skin will be lax enough to stretch down.

In your case six years is a good time gap and your photos show that it may be possible but a physical exam is essential to confirm this.   Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon for your abdominoplasty revision.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Hard case....

+1

When the scars are closer together they can be combined. Why your tummy tuck involved such a high scar (if that is indeed the case) is the real question. We usually try to make them lower.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision after abdominoplasty

+1

Indeed the 2 scars are wide apart.  Whether they can be "combined" may only be answered at the time of surgery to try it.  This is a difficult problem.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Combining scars in a tummy tuck

+1

In most instances it would be possible to have removed the c-section scar at the time of the first TT but occasionally it is not.  It all depends on how much excess skin you have in the upper abdomen to pull down.

I would disagree that having a vertical scar coming up from the TT scar is a good thing.  I also would politely disagree that you could get what you now want.  Without examining you, it just doesn't look like you have enough skin to remove the c-section scar and pull the intervening skin down.  Sorry...

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+1

Thanks for posting your photos, they really help answer your question. Because the very highly placed TT scar I believe it impossible to now combine the C-section scar and this unusually placed TT scar. Sorry. 

Can you combine a tummy tuck scar and a C-section scar

+1

In most cases one can combine or revise a C-section scar in a tummy tuck surgery.  From your your history, having had a previous tummy tuck, and your photos which show a significant distance between the two scars, it is difficult to say if this would be possible in you case.   See a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with abdominoplasty revision surgery.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon