Can I Combine my Tummy Tuck Scar and C-Section Scar?

I had a full tt about six years ago and have always been unhappy with my scar. It seems to high and has a little puff to it. My belly button looks good but I really want to lower the scar to where my c section is. I had a baby three years ago and now have both scars. I would like to either have scar revision, or maybe a new tt. It seems I have enough skin again. Thank u...

Tummy tuck revision

A plastic surgeon experienced in tummy tuck revisions can tell you in a simple consultation what to expect.

If there is enough looseness, the scar can be lowered, perhaps even significantly.

There may be more complicated alternative available, such as converting your tummy tuck to a modified full tummy tuck with a vertical incision, depending on the looseness of the upper abdominal skin.

It is unlikely it can be lowered to the C-section level, however, without such procedures..

Tummy Tuck Scar Revision

It is theoretically possible to revise and lower an existing tummy tuck scar to the level of a c-section scar. I usually place my tummy tuck scars at or even below the c-section scar so that it would not show, even with a low cut bikini. If you have enough loose skin above your umbilicus so that the skin can be stretched down to lower your tummy tuck scar, then it is possible to lower your tummy tuck scar to the level of the c-section scar.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Skin laxity an important consideration...

There’s no question that your superiorly positioned lower abdominal scars adversely impact your abdominal aesthetics. Correction of this problem will require excision of the superior scar and advancement of the superior flap in a downward direction towards the inferior scar.The success of this maneuver, will depend entirely upon the laxity of the superior skin flap.
Even with full mobilization to the level of the rib cage, it might not be possible to totally excise the upper scar.Under these circumstances the scar would be lower, but not totally removed.These maneuvers will also require an umbilical transposition and this will necessitate a small vertical incision as well.
It’s virtually impossible to make a specific recommendation without a physical examination to determine how much skin laxity is present.Your skin laxity can be evaluated in no other way.
It’s therefore important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area who can evaluate your abdomen.This surgeon should be able to perform this evaluation and formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Low Tummy Tuck Scar

The lower the scar the better. I measure 5-6cm from the vaginal opening as the incision point. Because the scar is lower, the skin can only be removed from the pubic area and lower abdomen up to the belly button in most cases.

In the photo above, a full tummy tuck revision could "combine" the two scars into a single low transverse scar, but there may also be a "new" small vertical scar on the lower abdomen. This scar would be from the current belly button.

I generally advise women to avoid abdominoplasty until they have completed any planned pregnancies.

Tummy tuck scar revision.

Thank you for the question and picture.

The picture is very helpful but examination will be critical in determining whether there is enough laxity of skin to allow for the upper scar to be lowered to the level of the lower scar.  Without examining you I am doubtful that this will be doable in a safe fashion.

Lowering an old abdominoplasty scar

Revising and lowering an old tummy tuck scar depends on how much loose skin you currently have.  The longer its been since the first surgery, the more likely your skin will be lax enough to stretch down.

In your case six years is a good time gap and your photos show that it may be possible but a physical exam is essential to confirm this.   Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon for your abdominoplasty revision.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Hard case....

When the scars are closer together they can be combined. Why your tummy tuck involved such a high scar (if that is indeed the case) is the real question. We usually try to make them lower.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision after abdominoplasty

Indeed the 2 scars are wide apart.  Whether they can be "combined" may only be answered at the time of surgery to try it.  This is a difficult problem.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Combining scars in a tummy tuck

In most instances it would be possible to have removed the c-section scar at the time of the first TT but occasionally it is not.  It all depends on how much excess skin you have in the upper abdomen to pull down.

I would disagree that having a vertical scar coming up from the TT scar is a good thing.  I also would politely disagree that you could get what you now want.  Without examining you, it just doesn't look like you have enough skin to remove the c-section scar and pull the intervening skin down.  Sorry...

Thanks for posting your photos, they really help answer your question. Because the very highly placed TT scar I believe it impossible to now combine the C-section scar and this unusually placed TT scar. Sorry.