Is It Possible to Combine a Tubal Ligation with a Mini-tummy Tuck or Do I Have to Have a Full Tummy Tuck?

I would like to get a tubal ligation, preferably where tubes are burned or tied/clipped instead of using the method where coils are inserted into the tubes. However, I am also considering a mini tummy tuck - only if I am determined to be a good candidate. Is it possible to combine with a surgical tubal ligation with a mini-tummy tuck or do I have to have a full tummy tuck to get both? My issue is scarring severity and placement associated with a full tummy-tuck.

Tubal Ligation with Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Yes, it is possible to have tubal ligation performed at the time of many or full tummy tuck surgery.

A few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Tubal ligation and tummy contouring

+1

The short answer to your question is yes.  You can have a tubal ligation and a mini or full tummy tuck at the same time.   Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tubal Ligation can be performed at time of Tummy Tuck

+1

The short answer is - Yes you can have your a tubal ligation and have a tummy tuck - either mini-tummy tuck or full tummy tuck at the same time. Your plastic surgeon will determine which procedure is best for you.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+1

The choice between mini and full TT's have nothing to do with tubal ligations and all to do with the result you expect and the anatomy you have.  If you have any muscle or skin laxity above the umbilicus (and virtually all postpregnancy people do), a full TT is better because the mini does nothing up there and can even make that area stick out more by just tightening the lower ab muscles.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS