Why Do Some Doctors Combine Smart Lipo and Traditional Lipo?

Do you get better result? I am getting Smart Lipo on my waist and back area but have been told by my doctor that he will be performing Smart Lipo and traditional liposuction together. I am just wondering if it is true that you will get better result?

Smart lipo and traditional lipo

+1

The two are usually combined because Smart lipo alone will not aspirate the fat that is emulsified and traditional lipo will suction tissue that was not treated adequately by the Smart lipo. I personally do not think that the Smart lipo offers any advantage. The rational to use it is to get skin tightening. I just don't see it. I think it is more of a marketing tool to get patients to walk in the door of some doctors' offices. Make sure you go to someone who is well qualified and has good results and happy patients.

The two combined can often get better results

+1

I often use the two techniques together to maximize the amount of fat removed. There are some areas where fat can be more difficult to remove. Areas such as the upper abdomen, love handles on some men and upper back can sometimes be harder to remove fat. The fat in these areas can be tied down in tough fibrous areas. The Smartlipo can help melt away these tougher tissues allowing the fat to come out more easily with regular liposuction thus creating a better contour. The newer Smartlipo MPX is really the best laser lipolysis machine available. Some doctors think that there is little benefit from this technology because earlier models were weak and didn't melt fat as efficiently. The Smartlipo MPX is now 2 lasers in one machine and it melts more fat better, faster and does a better job at tightening skin than previous models or competing brands.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Combining Smart Lipo and Traditional Lipo is the norm

+1

Smart Lipo is just a way to essentially melt the fat. You still need to evacuate the fat after the Smart Lipo, especially in larger areas.

You can find lots of information on this site about Smart Lipo, but it is no different than traditional Lipo. It is simply a marketing scheme to attract more patients for something that we have all been doing well before the company came out with Smart Lipo.

So, what I do have to say is make sure your surgeon is Board Certified Plastic Surgery and a member of ASPS.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Traditional Lipo and Smart Lipo are always combined

+1

Smart Lipo has been FDA approved with the provison that the fat is suctioned out after being treated with the laser. Depending on the power of the Smart Lipo, it will often not melt as much fat as the doctor may wish so he will also suction the fat. Also, the Smart Lipo is often used to try to get better skin contraction rather than fat removal.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results require traditional suction

+1

As experience is gained with Smart Lipo it is obvious that the area treated has to be suctioned by traditional liposuction in order to get a significant result. The Smart Lipo does not treat enough of the fat volume to get the volume reduction that most people want. Many areas of liposuction will have no difference in results if Smart Lipo is used or not. A discerning consumer will look at the cost and see if the added Smart Lipo laser cost is worth it.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo and Liposuction techniques overlap

+1

Smart Lipo just adds a laser-assisted "fat melting" stage to regular tumescent liposuction. It is debatable as to whether or not this adds anything but cost. I did about 150 cases of Smart Lipo last year before I decided it was not so much different than "regular" liposuction to warrant the cost.

The bottom line is that Smart Lipo may be better for sales than surgery because "technology sells."

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon