Can Septoplasty and Tubinate Reduction be Combined with Rhinoplasty?

An ENT recommended that I undergo a septoplasty and reduction in both middle turbinates. He told me I could recieve a rhinoplasty at the same time (which I do want) but then mentioned that there may been too much swelling if everything was done all at once. Is it best to do two separate surgeries to avoid excessive swelling? Are there qualified surgeons that could even perform a functional sinus surgery at the same time as the cosmetic portion?

Septoplasty, Turbinate Reduction, Rhinoplasty sure?

+1

Yes these procedures can and often should be combined to achieve the patient's goals. It will be of paramount importance to select your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully.

Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, and Turbinate Reduction

+1

Not only can a rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and turbinate reduction be done at the same time, the results will be better if all procedures are done in the same operation.The evaluation of both  appearance and function should always be part of the operative plan. The minimal increase in post-op swelling is not an important consideration.

Septoplasty and turbinate reduction at time of rhinoplasty

+1

These procedures can be combined and are often done together because many people have obstructive nasal symptoms in addiion to the cosmetic issues. So doing them together as one procedure makes sense. Make sure to find a suregon who has experience in the functional aspects of the surgery as well as the cosmetic one.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can septoplasty and rhinoplasty be done simultaneously?

+1

A rhinoplasty may actually include functional surgery and aesthetic surgery in the same surgery. It is not unusual for a patient to have a functional problem (such as a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates)  along with a desire to improve the appearance of the nose. So combining a functional procedure (septoplasty and/or turbinate surgery) along with an aesthetic procedure (rhinoplasty) makes good sense. The advantage of having one procedure rather than two surgeries is clear. An experienced nasal surgeon can discuss the particulars with each individual patient. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Combined with a Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction

+1

These procedures can safely and aesthetically be combined in one operation. The septoplasty and turbinate reduction refer to the functional aspect of the nose. However, septal cartilage obtained from the septoplasty is very commonly used for the rhinoplasty portion. This cartilage is used for grafts as well as to potentially strengthen the nose. If the nose is crooked it is often necessary to do septoplasty to get the nose as straight as possible as well. Often times insurance will cover the septoplasty and turbinate reduction and the rhinoplasty portion would be a separate charge. The functional sinus surgery is different from the septoplasty and turbinate reduction but depending on the extent may be able to be combined with the others.

Mark A. Jabor, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and turbinates are done easily in conjunction with rhinoplasty

+1
A septorhinoplasty is a combination of the septoplasty the "septo" portion of the work being the functioning aspect and the "rhinoplasty" being the aesthetic or cosmetic portion. It is important while doing any cosmetic work to the nose to make sure that it also functions well so many septorhinoplasty procedures require turbinate reduction. I have never done these procedures separately when they are both requested and there is no need to. Swelling is not an issue. See a good surgeon and speak with his/her patients and review the pre and post op photographs and make sure you find them aesthetically pleasing. I use a digital imaging computer as well during the consulting phase and this allows the patient to see the proposed surgical results prior to the procedure.

Michael Elam, MD