Plastic Surgery in One Session or Multiple?

Can you have multiple procedures done in one surgery? For example, I'm wanting to have a breast lift, tummy tuck and some liposuction. Should those be separate or which ones can be performed together? The liposuction would be on the flanks, hips/thighs, and back/bra area, and upper arms.

Mommy makeover plus more

+5

Three things you describe- breast lift, tummy tuck, and liposuction of flank- when done in one surgery is what is called the Mommy Makeover. This can be done safely in appropriately chosen patients. The additional liposuction of the arms, back, hips, and thighs adds a significant amount of time and changes in positioning in the operating room. Without seeing you in person it is difficult to say how much time this would add to surgery, or even if you are a good candidate for liposuction.

Personally I think the safest way to give you the *best results* is to do the breast lift, tummy tuck, and maybe flank liposuction in one surgery, and liposuction of the arms/ back/ hips/ thighs in a second surgery.

Can it all be done at once? Technically speaking yes. Would it be safe to do all at once? Possibly, but not recommended. The usual recommendation is to limit surgery to 6 hours, because the rate of complications tends to increase once you go over that time. Also, if you were to get all of those areas operated on at once (essentially your entire body), it would make recovery a lot more difficult, putting you at risk for post-operative complications for no reason.

There are a lot of factors that add time to your surgery, and each surgeon has a comfortable pace and rhythm. Its better for a surgeon to work at a speed that allows him or her to get you the best possible results, rather than speed through to give you an average result trying get it all done in one surgery.

I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in person to get an accurate assessment on how much can be done in one surgery, because a lot of this is based on your exam and overall health.

Multiple procedures can be done together

+2

A breast lift, tummy tuck, and liposuction (Mommy Makeover) are commonly done at the same time.  Your doctor can determine if you are a candidate for this combination of procedures.

Choose and undertake your areas of greatest dissatisfaction first

+2

Assuming that you have shed your "baby fat", I would recommend tacking your least favorite areas first. I agree with the other consultants that you should limit your operative tiime to 6 hours and the volume of liposuction to 4-5 liters as an outpatient procedure. Deviations above these ASPS recommended limits may be associated with complications.

On a more practical note, you might consider staging the procedures to "front and back", combining the breast lift and tummy tuck and then the full body lipo, later. Given the discomfort of a tummy tuck, I would hope that a patient would have strong arms and legs, with which to move out of a chair or push off the toilet. Hope this helps.

Combination procedures

+1
The three procedures you describe are often referred to as a "mommy makeover" and can safely be combined in most patients. See a board certified plastic surgeon for specific recommendations for your body. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

+1

A mommy makeover will restore the natural shape of a women after pregnancy. All mommy makeovers are individualized and can be quite a lengthy procedure. A six hour time frame is usually used as the maximum amount of time to spend in surgery. If the procedure would last longer, that it probably should be staged into two separate procedures.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery in one or multiple procedures

+1
When multiple areas of concern need to be addressed with surgery it is certainly appropriate to do as much as can be safely accomplished in one sitting. Most mommy makeovers involve a breast augment or lift with a tummy tuck. That amount of surgery generally takes 3-5 hours which is reasonable. A small amount of liposuction can be added, but when multiple areas need to be addressed then it is safer to do that at a second procedure. It allows the surgeon to focus on and perfect a few concerns and not have to deal with too much at one sitting.

Web reference: http://www.delucaplasticsurgery.com/mommy-makeover-albany-ny/

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

+1

Multiple procedures can be performed at the same time as long as safety is not being compromised. The amount or volume of liposuction you are requesting in addition to the tummy tuck and breast lift may be excessive because of volume and time restrictions for your safety

Combination Surgery Has Many Advantages, Including One Fee Quote, One Surgery, and One Recovery Period

+1

The combination of abdominoplasty, breast lift, and liposuction is commonly referred to as a mommy makeover. This procedure is often performed in a single setting. When these operations are performed together, safety has to be the first priority.
For these reasons we believe that the length of the procedure should never exceed four to six hours. Complications from surgery increase significantly when these numbers are exceeded. An experienced surgeon and surgical team that focus on efficiency can minimize the length of the surgical procedure. We often use another surgeon as a first assistant to help with this process.
When performing liposuction, we never exceed five liters of aspirate. This minimizes the potential for fluid and electrolyte shifts during and after surgery. When these precautions are taken, the mommy makeover is a very safe operation.
The advantages of this approach are obvious and include improved synergy and harmony, which improves the overall aesthetic result. Patients experience one recovery rather than multiple recoveries and they potentially save money when these procedures are done in combination.
Combination surgery is not for everyone. Some patients may have co-existing health problems which prevent this approach. Meeting with a board-certified plastic surgeon will help sort this out and help formulate the best treatment plan for you.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover +++ consider a second surgery.

+1

This is a tough question to answer with a simple reply.. Breast enlargements and a tummy tuck or breast lifts with a tummy tuck can be safely performed together in a healthy patient.

Adding extensive liposuction would make many a conservative plastic surgeon hesitant. I prefer to limit anesthesia times for elective cosmetic surgery for your safety. In my practice, I would defer any extensive liposuction (as noted above) except limited flank liposuction for a second less demanding visit to the operating room.

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Combination

+1

It sounds like you may be interested in mommy makeover surgery. I commonly perform a combination of breast surgery, tummy tuck, and liposuction on mothers who would like to reclaim their pre-baby appearance. However, the answer to your question really depends on your personal circumstances and surgical requirements. It is important to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience performing each of these procedures. During the consultation, be sure to thoroughly discuss your medical history and surgical goals so your surgeon can determine whether or not this combination is safe for you.