Is It Safe to Combine Microdermabrasion with Chemical Peel?

I'm wondering if Microdermabrasion and a Chemical peel can be done at same time in the same session.

What is the advantage or disadvantage? I've had it done, but heard they're not supposed to be done together and wonder whats true and what could be a disadvantage as I have another appointment scheduled.

Is it acceptable for an aesthetician to perform this? What is the benefit or disadvantage?

Combo peel and microdermabrasion

+1

The combination of a light chemical peel such as a Jessner's, salicylic acid or alpha hydroxy acid peel cna carefully be done with microdermabrasion. I would make sure that your esthetician is experienced in both peels and microdermabrasion so that they can detect if the treatment is going too deep or potentially damaging the skin.

Such a combination can be a great treatment for acne as the microdermabrasion exfoliates the upper skin layer that clogs pores in acne, and a chemical peel- especially a Jessner's or beta-hydroxy/salicylic acid peel - can penetrate clogged pores and relieve blackhead or comeodomes.

I would recommend, however, a more predictable, gentle and non-irritating vibradermabrasion treatment over traditional grainy or "sandblasting" microdermabrasion. Vibradermabrasion can give more even removal of the outer layer of skin with less irritation and trauma to the skin. This is epsecially important when combining with peels.

Be sure to keep your skin well moisturized after the peel as this will speed healing and enhance results.

Charlotte Dermatologist