Combination of Tummy Tuck and Liposuction, am I a Candidate? (photo)

I'm 45, 5'1 1/2, 4 kids youngest 17. Own a preschool so I'm very busy. My highest weight was 180 and now I'm down to 164. I can't seem to break the 160 #. I would like to get back to 118 for my small frame. I would like my stomach flat, waist smaller, thighs slimmer & butt smaller/firmer. current BMI is 30.8, what surgery would be best for me to look in to having as i continue to try & loose weight & how much should I loose & perhaps a breast lift I also take Phentermine Hydrochloride 37.5mg.

Lose Weight Before Tummy Tuck-Closer to Ideal Weight Goal

+3

Congratulations on your weight loss-that is great.

You will always get a better Tummy Tuck result is you can get closer to your ideal weight.

Keep up the good work-you will be rewarded.

A full tummy tuck is likely your best option. Focused liposuction may also be beneficial.

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos. Congratulations on losing weight.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

What operation is best for me??

+1

Thanks for your questions and the photos that you posted.  You have a clear definition of the look that you are going for with smaller thinner thighs, slimmer and firmer butt, breast lift and more definition of your waist with slimmer thighs.  You need to employ a lifestyle change in order to achieve your desired results.  The necessary steps of achieving your goal is to address your lifestyle and   diet and excercise plans.  Phentermine is at best a very short term solution.  Once you get into a more normal range (130 ish), you could then assess what areas need improvement.  If you are interested in further definition of your waist, thighs, and buttocks :  BBL could be the way to go because of all of the suctioning of your contours (the ones you don't want).  This would not address the excess abdominal skin (tummy tuck), but I am not a big fan of bbl, tt in same setting for multple reasons.  Keep up the good work with the weight loss.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Congratulations on losing the weight! 

You are an excellent candidate for abdominoplasty, but before considering a surgical procedure you definitely want to be at a stable weight (whatever that weight is).  Once you are stable I would recommend starting with just an abdominoplasty.  Once you have recovered you can consider liposuction (and any scar revision from the abdominoplasty that might be needed).

Liposuction can be performed at the time of the tummy tuck, but not where you might need it in the flanks: liposuction in the flanks increases the risk of a wound healing problem from the tummy tuck since the blood supply to the abdominal skin after surgery is from the flank areas.

So: start with the tummy tuck; recover; proceed with liposuction (and any needed scar revision).

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Timing of Tummy Tuck?

+1

As you know, it is always best to undergo body contouring surgery once you have reached a “long-term stable weight”. Sometimes, patients benefit from professional help from physician, personal trainer, and/or dietitian once they have done their best and have reached a plateau with diet and exercise.

On the other hand, there is no absolute number (weight wise)  to achieve prior to undergoing tummy tuck surgery. When you are comfortable that you have reached a weight that you will be maintaining afterwards then this may be the time to proceed.
I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

When the time is right,some additional words of advice may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

Tummy tuck and liposuction candidate?

+1

If you are 160 lbs and want to get down to 118 lbs. I would suggets losing the weigh first by diet and exercise then consider skin excision procedures( tummy tuck,etc.)

Tummy tuck and liposuction candidate

+1

From the photos and information you have provided it appears that you are a relatively good candidate for a full tummy tuck.  You would get the best contour result by also getting liposuction of the abdomen and flanks.  The very best result will be obtained by liposuction of your entire waist front and back as well as a tummy tuck. It should be stated, however, that an abdominoplasty and liposuction is not considered a weight loss procedure.  Your overall weight after a tummy tuck would not be dramatically different.  If you are planning on losing more weight than I would do so before your body contouring procedure. 

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Lypo and TT are not designed to loose weight/ la liposuccion y abdominoplastia no se hicieron para perder peso sino para perder

+1

you are still not  a good  candidate for  breast reduction and TT with lypo you should get a minimum BMI  26-27   and your  weight should be  at least  130  in order to program you for both procedures  very easeally, i would council 2 important items a.-ask for nutritionist help b.- stop drug phentermine ingestion, good luck.

tu aun no eres buena candidata para reduccion mamaria  con tummy tuck y lypo aabdominal  tu deberias  de tener una masa corporal de no mas de 26-27 y no mas de 65 kgrs de peso para poder programarte y te  aconsejaria  2 cosas muy importantes a.- busca ayuda con algun nutriologo b.-deja de  ingerir medicamentos termogenicos como la fentermina  saludos y buena  suerte

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and liposuction

+1
I would recommend that you lose weight first and then consider surgery. You already have indications for abdominoplasty. but operating before you lose the weight is a setup for a secondary procedure at additional cost. You are already on diet medications so I would encourage you to keep exercising and trying to lose weight as you may have hit a plateau.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Am I a good Candidate?

+1

I would tell you that if you are eating healthy and working out on a regular basis and have maintained this weight for 2 years you are a good candidate for a lipoabdominoplasty, a combination of the two. Not everyone is at their ideal BMI, I tell patients be at your honest natural weight, one you can maintain and one that is healthy. If you do plan on losing 40 lbs and think you can honestly achieve that, I would tell you to wait, but it would be doubtful that you could achieve this goal. Good luck and consult with a Board Certified PS.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon