Which Do You Think is Better to Combat the Dreaded Frown Line...botox or Juvederm?

I am going to have either or done next week for my frown line between my eyes. I can't stand it! I had a conservative amount of Botox done for this last year and it worked fine, but I still was able to see a faint line still. Do you think that getting Juvederm this time around would be a better option, or should I just ask for more Botox?

Botox for FRown Line is Much Better Than Juvederm

+2

The Frown Line also called the 11's is caused by the contraction or activity of the Frown Muscles, the Procerus and Corrugator. When these muscles tighten during stress or concentration they pull the skin overlying the muscle into a fold, the Frown Line.

Botox or Dysport injection relaxes the Frown Muscles and the Frown Lines disappear.

Frown lines are called Dynamic Lines when they only show when you frown. Dynamic lines are removed with Botox and Dysport.

After years of frowning the Frown Lines can create permanent creases in the skin which show even when you are not frowning. These are called Static Lines-they are there all the time.

Botox and Dysport will not remove static lines. Laser resurfacing or the facial fillers Juvederm, Pearlane, Radiesse, Restylane and others are used to treat static lines,

Botox and fillers for 11's

+1

The best scenario is to get the botox first, wait 2 weeks, then get a filler added. This will give the longest lasting results. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Maybe both are needed...

+1

it all depends on your tolerance...if you get botox every 3 months then you're lines will improve but if there's already a line etched in the skin even while you're muscles are at rest then maybe you'll need a little Juvederm too...but it's likely that there will always be a small line present that you can see to a varying degree...but it's your skin and no one expects it to look like a sheet of plain paper...that can be unnatural depending on the rest of your skin...

Ken Landow, MD

Treating Frown Lines

+1

Juvederm is a filler, meaning it is used to "fill" empty spaces on the face such as thinning nasolabial folds, troughs under the eyes, hollow cheeks, or deep wrinkles. The Frown line is caused by overactive facial muscles, and therefore Botox is the best option. Perhaps you'll need more product than you did last time to completely eliminate the wrinkle, or perhaps it has already turned permanent in which case you could benefit from a laser resurfacing procedure, such as Fraxel re:store or re:pair. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Treating the dreaded frown line

+1

Typically, Botox is the best treatment for the frown lines ("11"s). If you have a deep frown line (evident at rest), then adding a filler at the same treatment time as the Botox can be quite effective at plumping the line out further. If you're patient and continue regular Botox treatments every 4-6 months, you'll find that after 3-4 sessions, you'll likely never need a filler again. Make sure to see an experienced injector such as a dermatologist for optimal results and safety.  

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Star with Botox, then consider Juvederm.

+1

I would recommend starting with Botox Cosmetic to weaken the glabellar frown muscles and then consider an HA filler like Juvederm if deeper furrows or frown lines remain after 3 to 4 weeks of inactivity. The results can be impressive and extend the longevity noticeably, since the Juvedrem lasts longer.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs Juvederm for Glabellar Wrinkles, (the 11's)

+1

Botox is usually the first line of defense in this area.  This usually works well.  Sometimes a well established or deep wrinkle may need a little filler.  Remember that one may never have it perfectly smooth.  This depends on how long the wrinkle has been established, sun damage, scar in the area, etc.  Talk to your doctor, and tell him what your expectations are.  He will advise you on what is possible.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Botox and Juvederm

+1

Botox works great for limiting the movement of the muscle that forms the frown line.  If you have a line that is present when not moving your brows, called a static line, then Botox may not be enough.  In that case adding a filler  to the treatment can help fill in the lines.  For deeper wrinkles such as this, I like a combination of Botox and a filler.

Monica Halem, MD

+1

IMHO, no contest...Botox and the other neurotoxins are far superior in reducing unwanted forehead lines and wrinkles.  

Botox or filler for a frown line

+1

A frown line develops from repreated msucle animation and the subcutaneous fat thins in the region leaving an etched in line.  Sometimes botoc alone can soften the line. This may take several treatments.  Juvederm or any filler may help soften the line some more.